Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Why does Power Pro get such a bad rap?

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

I bought a new reel this spring, and it came with a free spool of Power Pro. I'm a Master Braid guy, but it was free, so I took it. All I heard was this stuff was crap, and the best thing that could happen to me would be if I got hung up on my first cast, lost it all, and re-spooled with another line.confused.gif

I've been using it since early May, have not had a single issue, no mysterious break off, no wind knots, no anything.

I got hopelessly hung up on something last night. After pulling, pulling, and more pulling, so hard I thought my shoulder was going to come out of it's socket, the braid I was hung up on broke, and I still got my jig back.

So what's the deal? cwm13.gif Was it bad early on, then improved upon?

i've never used PP so i have no dog in the fight, but PP users always seemed to be in two camps, those who really loved it and those who really, really hated it...not much middle ground...

i do remember reading alot of reviews early on in the braid revolution about mysterious mid-spool break offs, excessive wind knots, etc...sometimes once a product gets a bad rep it can be tough to shake...

alright here's the thing... iv used PP for a while now...wind knots dont happen often but when they do... most of the time all hell brakes loose.

if you used a pencil popper or a very light plug and u didnt keep tension on the line as you retreived it... id say 99/100%%% your doomed on your next cast... once its time to switch out my braid im going to try suffix

I'm in the camp who 'hates' itbiggrin.gif But to be fair, after much reading (through the endless debates on the matter in the main forum), it seems to be more of a quality control issue where some spools are flawless and others are crap - evidently no one really inspects this product at their production site

Could the wind knots be a result of the guides used on your rod? I've been throwing 2-3oz pencils all spring, and to date, no issues. However, I'm using concept guides.

all I have ever used and never had a problem. Use it on casting reels in canal, jigging, eel fishing from shore and boat, light tackle spring boat fishing, boat fluke fishing, even sometimes nite time T&W boat fishing. no problem mon. I like it but have never tried anything else. Ignorance is bliss i guess. Now I will probably get the birds nest of hell next time out.

from what i've heard and experienced, some bad batches of braid hit the market from time to time. i've seen with my own eyes, 5lb spools of braid at tackle shops, create knots as they are being spooled onto a reel. i have personally had on 2 different occasions, a giant wind knot on my first cast with the stuff.

i switched to master braid 3 years ago and won't use anything else.

I've used 30# and 50# for years without incident after it was recommended to me by a number of well known fishers at RT and regular canal highliners who continue to use it to this day.

I'm also aware of a number of guys on this site who've had problems with PP. I can speculate, however I can't speak with any authority why that is.

As long as PP does what I want it to, I'll stay with the product.

The only time I've had an issue with PP is when I don't get fresh line at the start of the season (lazy I know); other than that it's great. I do a lot of pencil popping and only get the occassional wind knot. Tried Fireline for a bit, and I really like it when it's new, but once it starts to degrade it is wind not central...this is my experience anyway.

I have been using it for a few years on several different reels and have never had any issues.

If you don't have it put on in a tackle shop were it is packed on tight your asking for trouble.

View PostI have been using it for a few years on several different reels and have never had any issues.

If you don't have it put on in a tackle shop were it is packed on tight your asking for trouble.

I disagree with that. When tackle shops use the line winding machine the line goes on spinning reels a bad way. Instantaneous wind knots everytime I've done it. The best method I've used is one from Spanish Fly. Jose wraps a paper towel around the braid and intertwines it between his fingers. This way he puts tension on it and the line can come off the top of the spool which it should for spinning reels. The video is on his site also. Never had a wind knot using this method.

View PostI disagree with that. When tackle shops use the line winding machine the line goes on spinning reels a bad way. Instantaneous wind knots everytime I've done it. The best method I've used is one from Spanish Fly. Jose wraps a paper towel around the braid and intertwines it between his fingers. This way he puts tension on it and the line can come off the top of the spool which it should for spinning reels. The video is on his site also. Never had a wind knot using this method.

A wet rag works well too.