Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kelkay

spinner fly

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

SpinflyA6-26-10.jpg

George Glazener made these flies popular. I ran into George at the Texoma Tie In. I am going to be working on this type fly a bit. George ties these mainly in 2/0 to 3/0. He also uses Eagle Claw 60 degree bend jig hooks on them. I tied this one in a 1/0. I used Bug Bond, although it is hard to tell from the picture. I coated the eyes, body, and head with it...especially the head area, to protect the thread from the spinner. You can tie the spinner on with thread, or let it free spin. I am trying it both ways. Yes, this is still a fly to me, but the purists might have a fit.

Thanks Gaspar. I found out from George today that I tied the thread head too close to the eye. So it is challenging to get the head tied in far enough back. I made a couple of smaller flies today, but still they are spinner flies as well. I should be able to cast the ones I made today with my 6/7 weight rod. People used to use spinner flies a long time ago. I just wanted to see how they would do for me. I have done well with conventional gear with spinners of all kinds. So, maybe this would be a good one. I will have to give them a little work out to know for sure.

Kelly, Nice fly... I'd often wondered about putting a spinner on...

Graysofkilsyth on the www market a patent pending spinhead for salmon & trout flies the orientation of the spin blade may assist you in your experiments... if you can't find it on the net please email me and I'll send you the link... all the photos from their website have their www address on and I know what the forum is like for advertising wink.gif

Oh and it weighs less than a Mepps 00 if that helps

Regards

David

I found it on the web with no problem. I have seen smaller trout flies with a spinner set up before. In fact I have a couple. This is from way back in the 80's. I bought them in Virginia now I cannot remember the name of the town. But it was close to the mountains. I did not fly fish back then. I just conventional fished. I got my love of fly fishing, and the urge to do so back when I was in the navy. I saw a man in upstate NY who was using a fly rod, and killing the trout, while people like me weren't doing so hot. The beauty and grace of him using that fly rod was before A River Runs Through It. It was my first sight of fly fishing. I was only on vacation, and I thought...I must learn to do that. They had lessons there, but it was astronomical in price. So I never learned back then. I do have a trout box still though that is before my fly fishing days. I bought a ton of various spinners, and used them with great success on stocked trout here in Texas. I did very well on conventional spinners on a spillway I fish at fairly often. So this little experiment hopefully will land me some more fish. I am no purist in fly fishing, and I still conventional fish. A man saw my spinner fly online, and is sending me some spinner making supplies he says, he doesn't use them anymore. That would be cool too. I made two flies last night that I used Bug Bond on, and one of them has some of Rich's eyes on it. I think it is cool, and should look good wet, but it is much smaller than this fly, and a whole lot lighter too.

View Post

You can tie the spinner on with thread, or let it free spin. I am trying it both ways.

Kelkay,

As someone who also has no problem tossing a fly with a spinner blade I would tell you not to waist your time tying the spinner on with thread. By doing so you will break the barrel swivel after releasing only a few fish. When releasing a fish (and you will release ALOT of fish w/this fly) the barrel swivel having no movement will certainly get stressed and break off leaving you with a bladeless spinster fly...... let it free spin! Also play with the 3 different types of blades for different environments.

Henry

PS.....this is a fly I often fish when looking for a good searching pattern

Thank you Henry, that is a great pattern by the way. On the jig hook I am using, keeping the barrel swivel out of the way is hard when tying in the head. I am still not getting it right all the time. I put a piece of foam there to hold the swivel out of the way, but It is a pain in the rear. I have been using epoxy, and for the most part Bug Bond with the spinner fly. What you said sure makes sense, and I will keep that in mind. I would prefer them to free spin, I just have to get it right on building the heads. Thank you for your opinion, and that photo too.

IMG_1124.jpg

Here is another. It is hard to see the Bug Bond, but that is what I used.

IMG_1128.jpg

I think Stripers and Hybrid Stripers will love these flies, at least I hope so.