Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1MoreCast

Why Stripers?!

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

its a legit question hah, maybe some guys like the leading up to go surf casting getting the truck ready slapping on waders being out there by yourself in the surf and dark. Maybe you like it cause its a gorgeous fish, which it is...and obv now that im typing more im answering for EVERYONE probably.

THREADS CLOSED, im a jackass

oops. i forgot the smiley. it was not meant badly.

for me it the waiting until you rod bends in half, in the night, with a limited amount of people. and then seeing the ghostly reflection of a cow coming in through the rocks.biggrin.gif

i think of this all the time.

i love the bass because this was how i was raised. i have always fished and the bass was the main goal. fluke, blues, bottom fish, EXT are all second. the bass is like the king of all the game fish. it is one of the hardest to catch and i really think it is a legand in both the surf and boat fishing communitie's.

just my 2 cents

thanks..........chris

I think for most of us, maybe a little more for being on the island, it is THE fish to be had. We've all fished the bays the bridges channels and the like. When I think of fishing the island the 3 fish come to mind for me at least, blues, fluke, stripers. Also, thats what I was brought up fishing for too.

same here, never landed one from beach, thats the other thing so many ways to catch these fish and each way boat, beach, whatever has its own varying degree of difficulty and fun. I too am determined to have this be my year of slamming one in the surf

Besides the fact that they are a beautiful strong fish that are also good eating, they are reasonably easy to take, if you know a few things and do them right. They can be found in raging deep water rips, on open sand beaches, along rocky shores, up in back water brackish estuaries, and often in water so shallow it barely covers their backs. Big cows are great sport on heavy tackle and schoolies are great sport on light tackle. Plenty of fun, no matter how or where you fish. Great sport if your a commando style fisherman, great sport if your on a mild surf beach with your kids.

My first time out on the ocean fishing was on my dad's friends boat. We were surrounded by bass. We could see them in the waves and every cast was a 20 lber or bigger. A few years later I started surf fishing. I loved getting up early, after a rough nights sleep anticipating the bite in the morning. Watching the sun rise with a bent rod, nothing can beat that. Recently I have discovered the whole night fishing scene, I do have to say it is a hundred times better than early dawn fishing. I have gone out more in the past few weeks than I have since I started 8 years ago, and with great success too. There is something special about striper fishing that keeps me alive, I don't know if it is the salty air or the sheer joy of hunting them.

The thrill of the hunt.You never know if it's going to be the big one.The secenary and smell of the air,waves crashing,mother nature the pesky seals,our little friend the Plover.It's good clean fun.I just like it.highfive.gif