Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamiep

First try at a flatwing

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So here it is please dont hold back on suggestions and what not. Ive been tying flys for some time now and can bang out catskill dries along with whatever else needed.

For some reason these bad boys have been giving me a few problems With regards to mounting the hackle and having it tent. Also along with finding patterns. I cant seem to find many patterns out there in cyberspace!!!

Sorry for picture quality.

Jamie.

Nice one Jamie. Just a couple of suggestions, you are not looking for the saddles to "tent", you are just looking for them to lie flat. Use a pillow to help accomplish that. Also, try to keep the head a little smaller, and less "beaklike". Otherwise , lookin good. Keep up the good work.

I will echo what GB said.

I have found that if you're having difficulty with getting the saddles to lie flat, a bigger pillow will help. There will be a bigger "bump" at the tail where you wrap the braid, but the stripers won't mind. Promise.

As you get more adept, you can start making the pillow smaller. :-)

Oakman, the pillow is real simple, all it is is a bit of the soft marabou from the base of the feather, applied to the thread as you would do with dubbing. But, instead of wrapping the pillow around the hook, just hold the thread vertically above the hook , were you want to apply the pillow, and slide the marabou down the thread and place it on top of the hook shank. This will give you a pillow effect on top of the hook, which will allow the tie in point of the saddles to become fatter and keep the saddles from twisting, and lay flat. Hope this helps.

When you guys say a pillow what do you mean exactly? is it the bt at the end of the hook?

Just saw your post gb.

So its similar to a dubbing ball to splay the tails on a dry fly ?

Jamie- nice job.

Flatwings have some specific techniques in their construction:

At the tail, in order of tie in:

"Platform"- sparse bucktail. After you take a couple wraps of thread press down with your thumbnail to fan the bucktail out into a horizontal "platform" that will help support the flatwing feathers and prevent fouling.

"Pillow"- just a bit of fluff from the base of flatwing feathers "dubbed" onto your tying thread and tied in on top of the hook shank. The purpose is to provide a soft place for the stem of the flat wing feather to nestle in creating a channel preventing the stem from twisting and rolling out of position once you apply thread torque. (It's tied in the same position as a dubbing ball used to split the tails on trout dry flies like spinners, but serves a different purpose.)

"Support feather"- sometimes used, especially on long flatwings. This is usually a rooster cape feather tied concave side up. Cape feathers generally have thicker, stiffer stems than saddle feathers, and the purpose is to provide additional support for long saddle feathers and prevent fouling. The support feather is tied in over the pillow first, dull (concave) side up. Saddle feathers are tied in over it dull side (concave side) down. I generally use a support feather on just the long flatwings like bunker and herring imitations 10"+ not on smaller stuff.

mark

There are different ways to do the pillow. I have always dubbed the fluff onto the thread with a little saliva and wound it around the shank. Of course, how the pillow is rendered is up to each individual tier.

As far as books go, the father of the modern striper flatwing is Ken Abrames, and his book A Perfect Fish could be considered the flatwing bible. Tons of flatwing patterns and detailed tying instructions. :-)

View PostJamie- nice job.

Flatwings have some specific techniques in their construction:

At the tail, in order of tie in:

"Platform"- sparse bucktail. After you take a couple wraps of thread press down with your thumbnail to fan the bucktail out into a horizontal "platform" that will help support the flatwing feathers and prevent fouling.

"Pillow"- just a bit of fluff from the base of flatwing feathers "dubbed" onto your tying thread and tied in on top of the hook shank. The purpose is to provide a soft place for the stem of the flat wing feather to nestle in creating a channel preventing the stem from twisting and rolling out of position once you apply thread torque. (It's tied in the same position as a dubbing ball used to split the tails on trout dry flies like spinners, but serves a different purpose.)

"Support feather"- sometimes used, especially on long flatwings. This is usually a rooster cape feather tied concave side up. Cape feathers generally have thicker, stiffer stems than saddle feathers, and the purpose is to provide additional support for long saddle feathers and prevent fouling. The support feather is tied in over the pillow first, dull (concave) side up. Saddle feathers are tied in over it dull side (concave side) down. I generally use a support feather on just the long flatwings like bunker and herring imitations 10"+ not on smaller stuff.

mark

Cheers mark makes more sense now. Thanks aswell GB for your input. Im going to tye a few up later and see how she blows . Do you guys have any color recommendations for me Please.

Jamie

Yea, that is the best way to do it. Just get in there and try it. Practice makes perfect. I would suggest that you get the book by Joe cordiero, that is all techniques, no patterns, and will give you the steps, in order. Good colors, are golden olive over white, along with regular olive, , tan, tan grizzy, sd blue. All,those fishy colors. You don't need to have lot of feathers on the fly, a 2 feather flat wing is very effective.

View PostYea, that is the best way to do it. Just get in there and try it. Practice makes perfect. I would suggest that you get the book by Joe cordiero, that is all techniques, no patterns, and will give you the steps, in order. Good colors, are golden olive over white, along with regular olive, , tan, tan grizzy, sd blue. All,those fishy colors. You don't need to have lot of feathers on the fly, a 2 feather flat wing is very effective.

Cheers pal. I fished a few of them last night andf i must say they have great movment in fast rips and currents