Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave588

Loggerhead turtle killed by vehicle.

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Whats even more sad is that the pseudo-environmentalists (I'm talking about those who only joined the Birds-R-Us club to push their hidden agenda of closing the beach, the same ones who ignore what actual scientific research shows and don't give a flying flip about the environment!) are probably rejoicing.

cwm13.gif

IMO, chances are;

1. NPS vehicle doing turtle checks.

2. Ne'er-do-wells just bored.

3. Intentional driving violation.

But, unless someone starts poking their heads under every 4wd in the area and happens to find turtle dna, closures will increase.

SELC wants steel gates permanently installed at each ramp.

. NPS vehicle doing turtle checks.

imho we have a winner!!

but until the nps is patrolling at night , all hours and in force ; we(fisherman) will always be blamed for all occurrences !!!!

What a shame..frown.gif .

I have never heard of a mature nesting Turtle being killed at OBX by a beach buggy...

all the years folks have been driving on the beach...and not a single one killed prior to this as far as I know...

Did the perps make any effort to hide the evidence of what they had done?? or did they just leave the critter lying dead in the tracks of their truck???

It would cost, but cameras at the ramps would help to solve the question of who-dunnit.

Whoever it was, fisherman, ranger, or otherwise shouldbe caught because it impacts all of us.

View PostNo driving on the beach after 10pm. Someone could have been driving with their lights turned off, trying not to get caught.

That is the most likely scenario and they did not see it. Could have just as likely been a couple scrogging in the sand or a drunk passed out that got run over.

View PostNo driving on the beach after 10pm. Someone could have been driving with their lights turned off, trying not to get caught.

Ranger with night vision equipment might have been driving with his/her lights off hoping to sneak up on a couple with their clothes off...

Thanks for sharing this terrible news.

We have fished the OBX for 30 + years and the recent development of beach closures has been frustrating and has altered our recent vacation plans. The OBX had been just the perfect place for family vacations as my wife and sons love the beach. My sons and I have greatly enjoyed the beach access and productive fishing.

The turtle killed on Ocracoke island is a definite tradegy. These are apparently rare and endangered. This also unfortunate for those who love to fish the OBX.

IMHO, further limiting beach access would make the OBX a much less attractive vacation site.

Hopefully the guilty party is identified and appropriately penalized. One would think that identifying this person would not be terribly difficult...after all, how many vehicles could have been on that 2 mile stretch of beach that evening.

Uni2