Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maineskiff

Fishing Puerto Rico

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Has anyone fished in PR? We are thinking of skipping our annual Keys week next Feb. and heading to someplace different. Between the cold weather kill of last year and the oil issue we think it might be wise to look else where. We love the Keys and have been going down for the last 4 years but the fishing last year was poor to say the least, at least the type of fishing we can afford to do.

I fly cast and she spin fishes. Anyone able to recommend guides, rentals , both boats and maybe like a cottage? Where to stay. DIY info?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys

I'm interested in this. I'm getting married in San Juan next Jan. We're staying down there for the honeymoon. I'm looking to take some of the guys out on a couple charter boats the day before the wedding. ( The girls are having a "Spa" day or some silly nonsense) I'm liking the idea of some bay/lagoon Tarpon fishing but I bet some of the more meat n' potatoes guys wanna go trolling/drinking.

Anyway, any suggestions would be very helpful!

Thanks.

Try Puerto Rico Magic Tarpon charters. The cater to fly and light tackle anglers.

Fishing from shore along the island can range from fair to good. Fishing along the rocky coast and river mouths with bombers, rapalas, jigs and soft plastics can offer species ranging from snook, tarpon, jacks, barracuda and snappers. Best colors are black/silver, chartreuse/silver, pearl and anything that looks like a mullet or scaled sardine.

7' M to MH rods with spinning tackle can handle the majority of species unless you hook into a bruiser jack crevalle.

Try not to venture out at night to the beaches, unfortunately it's not safe. Don't leave cameras and other valuables visible in your car.

I've been interested in PR for a while, but still haven't set up a trip. There is some excellent freshwater fishing there also... peacock bass, largemouth, and talapia. Might be something to consider if you are planning to go there. Tarpon and snook one day, and peacocks on a mountain reservoir the next. Keep us posted if you go!

View PostI've been interested in PR for a while, but still haven't set up a trip. There is some excellent freshwater fishing there also... peacock bass, largemouth, and talapia. Might be something to consider if you are planning to go there. Tarpon and snook one day, and peacocks on a mountain reservoir the next. Keep us posted if you go!

Will do guys. Thanks for the info.

View PostHas anyone fished in PR? We are thinking of skipping our annual Keys week next Feb. and heading to someplace different. Between the cold weather kill of last year and the oil issue we think it might be wise to look else where. We love the Keys and have been going down for the last 4 years but the fishing last year was poor to say the least, at least the type of fishing we can afford to do.

I fly cast and she spin fishes. Anyone able to recommend guides, rentals , both boats and maybe like a cottage? Where to stay. DIY info?

Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Here's some info on PR. the site below will help depending on were your staying. I was in PR (San Juan) and wen't out for tarpon on the fly with Capt. Omar. I think a few anglers on this site have also used him. Was a good day out and we were able to hook up on the fly and on light spin gear.

I hope this helps. Have a good trip.

---

Heading there in late November - first week of December or so myself.

Moray 1- if you're going to be around during that time PM me your contact info - bringing some gear - lets go fishing man.

View PostThanks christ0pherr, anyone else been down there?

i chartered out of san juan harbor in january- we sabikied up some sardines by the power plant outfall and headed down the ferry channel to where the mangrove swamp drains into it

i caught a few smallish tarpon, but there were huge ones breaking all around us

the sardines were running small and didn't attract the attention for the big ones, which get caught in the sixty to ninety pound range often enough i'm told

apparently the tarpon have the upper hand on the baitfish where the poorly oxygenated water from swamp meets the laggon water in the channel because they can gulp oxygen from the air- so that's where they hang out

no reason not to think you could hook up with a very big fish on the right fly

the guys name was Poncho, and was a decent sort- Cuban, former CFO for a nursery in florida and a VP for a commercial bank in PR

he operates out of a marina right behind the sizzler steakhouse in san juan

i paid $375 for a half day on a center console- i think 2 people would run 425

you could probably find it on google earth

i wouldn't call it a wilderness experience by any means- we were close to an overpass, and the swamp water was pretty fetid

puerto rico is pretty built up around the capital

i'm not familiar enough with the place to say whether or not there is tarpon habitat in less developed parts of the island

i prefer costa rica, and you could probably do a family trip for the same money that would be a better overall experience

supposed to be plenty of tarpon the the caribbean side, but the place is less user friendly than the pacific side (more bugs and dengue fever and likely more petty theft)

the pacific side is drier and less developed, but i think the tarpon fishing is concentrated in the bay between the Osa peninsula and the mainland where a big river drains into it

there are probably other spots on the west coast like up near the nicaraguan border

and i think it would also put you closer to the Arenal volcano and hot springs area around the quaint tourist town of la fortuna

there is no reason to fly into the capital if you can avoid it, and the second international airport is in liberia in the north pacific region

check out an outfit called "elegant adventures" ("aventuras elegantes"), which will pick you up and drop you off, as well as hang out while you visit local attractions

they also do the small group gigs, picking folks up at a few hotel/resorts and do the zip-lining/nature tours/volcano/hot spring with buffet stuff

and at reasonable prices- they seem to have their act together

i would think twice about renting a vehicle the first time down there unless you are sure of the GPS accuracy because there are not a lot of road signs and most of the secondary roads are dirt with shaky bridges and some rutted fords

i know a decent independent guide down there, Ralph Solano- most of his clientele is day-trip kayak fishing, but i hired him to bring us around for 9 days for kayak fishing and surfcasting- you should get an easy hit for him on google

have fun whatever you do, but i wouldn't go back to san juan given another option