Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Well, newspaper now says McCrystal was betrayed by the reporter

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

that Hastings used quotes and attributions on conversations that were off limits for publishing

I suspected that all along (as did another poster)

I hope that RS bastage can look himself in the mirror

Unfortunately, I suspect he can

White House plot to bow out of the Obama imposed deadline (well we had to change Generals, screwed everything up) and/or take out Petreus as a campaign threat?

I wouldn't bet against it.

By the way, that reporter was freelancing for Rolling Stone, he is fulltime Washington Post.

It had to be off the record reporting.

A General, I don't care who it is, did not get to be a General by shooting his mouth off to reporters, especially a left wing rag like RS.

What was said was so bad that the reporter felt he had to let it be known, despite the rules.

The reporter's hero was getting beat up verbally so bad, the reporter fought back the only way he knew how.

Now, our president could have laughed this off, and gave the RS no creditability. He chose to use the opportunity to make a change in leadership. He chose a man that the Left despised a few years ago, and now seems to be an OK guy. Let's hope this decision works, because if it doesn't more Americans will die.

From what I read in the NY Times, RS did not have an assignment to interview the general and his staff - it was by chance that they were going to the same place in Afghanistan and when air travel in Europe was shut down due to the volcanic ash, they shared a bus to Berlin. It was while traveling together that it appears that they all became "travel buddies". I can only guess that they shared a few brews on the long journey and people let their guard down.

Who knows..... quite strange the way it went down.

View Postespecially a left wing rag like RS.

Read Generation Kill, smoke crack.

What was said was so bad that the reporter felt he had to let it be known, despite the rules.

Which rules are those?

The same rules that say you have to "fight fair"? cwm27.gif

Anybody who thinks you can freely talk in front of the press and that you can control what they print is an idiot. They make their living writing what will sell.

So where is McCrystal in defense of himself?

There is still way to much of this that just does not add up.

Guess we won't find out his side till he hits the talk circuit.

View PostRead Generation Kill, smoke crack.

Which rules are those?

The same rules that say you have to "fight fair"? cwm27.gif

The rules about when something is off the record.

Do you think this reporter will ever get to interview someone important, or controversial in the future if it is known that he writes everything he sees?

It is a two way street, these interviews. I'll give you access to me, but you can't say anything about X,Y, and Z.

Now if they all got loaded on a bus, and folks started running off at the mouth, different situation. I was under the impression the RS reporter and Mac were in an imbedded reporter situation, where somethings were off the record. Would the reporter describe detailed battle plans in his rag?

For the life of me, I can't figure out why "Our" American general has to be put on a bus with comon folk, let alone a reporter. Public transportion for a General who is running a campaign against a terrorist group? God help us if that is how the security of our country is being run.

Please oh, Please! Let Obe be on a public bus in the Gulf of Mexico. One can only hope, for a change.

View PostAnybody who thinks you can freely talk in front of the press and that you can control what they print is an idiot. They make their living writing what will sell.

View PostFor the life of me, I can't figure out why "Our" American general has to be put on a bus with comon folk, let alone a reporter. Public transportion for a General who is running a campaign against a terrorist group? God help us if that is how the security of our country is being run.

Please oh, Please! Let Obe be on a public bus in the Gulf of Mexico. One can only hope, for a change.

Yes and more yes...

View PostIt had to be off the record reporting.

A General, I don't care who it is, did not get to be a General by shooting his mouth off to reporters, especially a left wing rag like RS.

If you don't want something you said repeated, don't say it!cwm40.gif Obviously he did shoot off his mouth, and the fact that he trusted a stranger (if that is what he did) shows poor judgment.

View PostFor the life of me, I can't figure out why "Our" American general has to be put on a bus with comon folk, let alone a reporter. Public transportion for a General who is running a campaign against a terrorist group? God help us if that is how the security of our country is being run.

IIRC, he was on a bus because volcanic ash grounded flights.

McChrystal fired his press aide when the story broke out

most of the quotes were attributed to his staff

seems the firing was an admission of culpability and likely a breakdown in communications -

likely a loose lips fueled by bud lime