Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
supertuna

Tuna Jigging...

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am going to be jigging for tuna in the Caribbean and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for lures? I am looking at jigging with a Sustain 8000FE and a Trevala M power rod. Do these seem like a good combo for tuna? Thanks!

I'm no jigging authority but when we do it we use butterfly style jigs and also diamond jigs. Don't waste your money on the Shimano jigs, you can get ones that are basically the same for 1/4 the price. The flat side jigs worked best for me. Knife jigs not so much.

How big do the tuna get down there? Also your jig weight is going to depend on current and how deep. Again I don't know much about that area.

John

Are you fishing for yellowfin and blackfin???And are you sure your going to be jigging for them.

View PostAre you fishing for yellowfin and blackfin???And are you sure your going to be jigging for them.

Well I'm not actually sure... I am new to jigging, and am not sure of the abundance of YFT down here, or BFT. I live on a boat and cruise, and have done inshore fishing, trolling, jigging -- with a rod that i am replacing with a trevala rod and sustain reel -- but i haven't done much jigging... so i was just trying to figure out what the best lures would be, and if that rod and reel combo would sustain (pun :p ) fishing a YFT or BFT. And, if either species in abundant down in the caribbean. smile.gif

Check out ProFish buttefly jigs. You can get them on fleabay for 1/4 price of the higher end Shimano jigs. For Tuna you probably want 150g (5 oz) + jigs because you'll be fishing in deep water w. current. Have an assortment ready up to 12-15 oz. Use assist hooks on a solid ring. Owner makes good ones but again you can shop around, just make sure they're of quality. You're going to want 80-100 lb braid and a heavy fluoro topshot leader.

View PostCheck out ProFish buttefly jigs. You can get them on fleabay for 1/4 price of the higher end Shimano jigs. For Tuna you probably want 150g (5 oz) + jigs because you'll be fishing in deep water w. current. Have an assortment ready up to 12-15 oz. Use assist hooks on a solid ring. Owner makes good ones but again you can shop around, just make sure they're of quality. You're going to want 80-100 lb braid and a heavy fluoro topshot leader.

Do i really have to use 80-100LB. Test? Could I use 50LB.? I'll be using a Sustain 8000FE, or do i have to get a stella for tuna? Thanks!

Im not a pro on Jigging, however, I have been talking with the "pros" of the Jigging Master brand (which I highly/strongly recommend for jigging rods, jigs, reels, etc...) they told me that tunas do not like to bite jig that you throw vertically, you have to throw them in angle in order to have way more bites. the lure design, weight, and color will depend on the area you are fishing (how deep, current, etc...)

hope this info helps!

CZ

View PostDo i really have to use 80-100LB. Test? Could I use 50LB.? I'll be using a Sustain 8000FE, or do i have to get a stella for tuna? Thanks!

Most tuna jigging is done with 60-80 lb boat braid. Sustain is fine but with the spool size you may not be able to pack on 300+ yards. Too bad 8000 is the largest. You should be okay if it's not super deep water.