Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
L3gend Angler

Oil effect

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I voted no but even if it does who cares because the poor souls who live on that part of the coast are going to have to live with it for another 30 years.

One or two years of bad fishing up here doesn't compare to the utter destruction that is going to happen to a large area of the gulf coast mad.gif

yep...somehow even indirectly. Too much life flowing up the stream that I can't see how it wont have some type of impact on our fisheries. Problem is it won't be easy to quantify...say we find out in a couple years the bunker migration is decimated - who's to say it's due to the lack of nutrients or some food base flowing up? There will be plenty of other theories from commercial harvest to chicken crap to whatever. But yeah - I feel pretty confident we're gonna see some affect.

Oh hell yes. If you think the chesapeake menhaden get pounded on now.. wait until all of the menhaden in the gulf die. There will be ripple effects that we cant dream of now that will have some effect on us. Piping Plovers is another thought i had.. if hundreds die, I would imagine that there would be more pressure up in the northeast to protect them, which would mean stricter beach closures.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is short sited.

I certainly hope that the water, wildlife, fish, and fishing on the Atlantic side are not affected by the oil spill, but I am afraid they will be. We in the gulf coast would not wish this mess on anyone, but there's so much oil out there, and with hurricane season upon us, it could easily spread great distances. If it gets in the ocean currents, who knows where it will get to?

It started out that it would be a couple weeks before the oil was stopped, then it was a month, then it was the beginning of July, now they say it will be mid-august before the relief well is finished. Should we believe that prediction? Even if oil doesn't actually wash up on NE beaches, the effects of the oil will be felt across an unbelievably vast area of ocean. It's all connected, from the plankton level to the apex predators. Corporate criminality on a scale that's hard to fathom.

I think patches of the dispersants are already here. In the surf causing problems in shallow water. Otherwise there is some sort of chemical in the waters from NY harbor, lower NY bay and the RB that is messing with the fish in the shallows, but not the blues and bunker. Looks like it is coming from the open ocean. It appears to dissolve crabs from the inside out and damage braided line. Has anyone else seen this? It looks something like red tide, but the bubbles look metallic like mercury and dish soap--it breaks up in the wash and you cant see it. Then when the water stops it becomes bubbles again headscratch.gif