Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Gotta order a new computer, need advice

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

And quick, since mine (the one I'm using) is turning itself off after half an hour's use. Tomorrow I take off the case, chase out any dust bunnies, check for nonworking fans and reseat the video card (the monitor, a flatscreen, says".... searching for signal .... going to sleep" or something like that). It's four years old. Wife hates Dell. Must have compatibility with windows so can work at home on office matters.

So. Quad-cores seem the apparent minitower norm and one of the apps I run is Dragon Naturally Speaking, which benefits from multicore applications. I may add Adobe Elements, Omnipage 17 to Office in the near future. Beyond any generic multicore processor and DDR3 memory, any other advice?

Component selection advice sought. If I could spec out a PC that would run reliably for 5-6 years, I'd have a local guru build it. I don't know enough.

get an off-lease from tigerdirect or newegg.

example: newegg has a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112Y(VT637AAR#ABA) Phenom II X4 925(2.8GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB ATI Radeon HD 4350 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for only $640.

Component selection advice sought. If I could spec out a PC that would run reliably for 5-6 years, I'd have a local guru build it. I don't know enough.

If you are looking for something that will last 5-6 years, I might suggest a i5 or i7. Also I like Asus for motherboard that uses solid capacitors. GSkull or Kingston is a good brand name for RAM.

What exactly are the components are you looking at? Motherboard, RAM, HDD, video card?

View Postget an off-lease from tigerdirect or newegg.

example: newegg has a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-112Y(VT637AAR#ABA) Phenom II X4 925(2.8GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB ATI Radeon HD 4350 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for only $640.

Thats a damn good price icon14.gif , basically the same I have except I built it myself

and a different ATI card .

I built mine for 1k. but I have alot of nerdy stuff crammed in it .

Newegg is my go to place for nerdgear .

it turns itself off in that time because thats when its heats up to a temp it don't like .

If I had to guess it would be a power supply problem . Maybe a hard drive but other stuff happening just before the power off would lead me to that conclusion .

Power supply ... hadn't occurred to me. I thought it was a heat problem but the power supply notion didn't come to me. OK, check power supply.

foxfai, I don't know enough to have a preferred component. I am out of date enough to be surprised that 3.5" drives are an endangered species. Somewhere, on a bookshelf, I have stuff on ... honest ... 5 1/4" drives. Really.

Dammit. I did NOT want to buy a new PC for another two years until I retired (62 = 2012 = earliest preferred date). At THAT time I'd do some reading at leisure. Dagnabit.

It really could be the power supply, or the motherboard capacitor. That's why I recommend asus because they use solid capacitors.

Took a look at Newegg. Took a look at the Outlets on Dell and HP (won't be Dell, wife hates Dell. nevermind that she's going to be talking to India whomever she calls for tech support.) Startling price/performance ratios. Remember when the computer you wanted always cost $5K? Maybe not now.

How's HP's build quality? Any better/worse then anyone else's?

I never had a HP, I build all my computers.

But in the market out there now, I see a lot of refurbished HP machines being resell from different vendors. I am not sure if there is a problem with those build, but that's something to consider.

It's just better to buy a PC nowadays. Yes, a home built one would probably have better components but usually is always more expensive and especially so if you want a legit OS. If you're gonna go w/ Linux then yeah go ahead and build yourself one.

Also, most of those refurbished computers have nothing wrong w/ them. It's a PC so stoopid people get viruses and stuff and send it back to the mfg or they have cosmetic issues so they're returned. I always buy refurbs nowadays and never have a problem.

BTW, if you need a power suppy, shoot me a PM, I got so much computer stuff I need to get rid of. I got everything except memory.

Thank you. If I need a widget, I will inquire on BST, per house rules.

Terabytes. I'm seeing standalone PCs out there, as I browse, with 1T hard drives. Holy cow. And 3 1/2" drives are dinosaurian? Oh Lordy.

View PostIt's just better to buy a PC nowadays. Yes, a home built one would probably have better components but usually is always more expensive and especially so if you want a legit OS. If you're gonna go w/ Linux then yeah go ahead and build yourself one.

I priced out a gaming rig with the components I wanted and it was at least 2x more than what I paid for parts and doing it myself and I got a better case with alot more airflow and a larger PS and GPU , all brand name parts , wasn't latest release stuff but very close to it .

Home version of w7 is cheap now and you can build a decent comp using your own monitor for about 1k with good parts . The same 1k through a boutique builder would get you 1/2 the computer you can build for the same $$$ , You might not get Office software with it but you can D/L open office for free and it does the same stuff .

Love my HP's got my current at best buy. It was last years model and they threw in windows 7 for free. and I beat the hell out of my computers............