Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
farley

question about teasers

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have been surf fishing for about 3 years now, just got into plugging for about a year. Could someone give me the rundown on when to use a teaser? And what type of plug do you use it on? What type of knot do you use and what distance from the plug?

Thanks, Farley

If I am plugging the beach (day or night) I almost always use a teaser. The only time I wont use one is if I am fishing a very snaggy area and run the risk of the teaser getting hung up while pulling in a fish. I pre rig all my teasers before hand, take about a 12inch piece of leader material tie a double surgeons loop knot (makes changing teasers a breeze) on one end and a loop knot (forget the exact name) to the teaser so it can swing around freely and appear more natural in the water. Tie about a 4 foot leader from the barrel swivel to the plug, then attach the teaser to the barrel swivel by pulling the leader through the eye of the swivel, pass the teaser through the double surgeons, pull tight and your ready to go!

P.S. This is the method I have been using since I first started plugging, and I learned it from some good fisherman right on this site years back wink.gif

being honest I don't use a teaser that often. When I do, is if the fish are there but being finicky on smaller baits like sand eels or silver sides. As for the type of plug, I usually use one that casts well such as a stubby needle.

nice, thank you. I assume it increases your strikes? As for the presentation, is it mimicking your plug chasing a smaller baitfish?

I had to stop using them because I had some close calls with the teaser near my eyes when releasing fish from main lure in waste deep water. I decided it wasnt worth the risk of an accident in the dark.

super effective though

When I did use them, I would tie a deceiver pattern and put it on a dropper loop about 2.5' above the main lure. That main lure would be usually a 9" sluggo or a 5" storm shad or something.

Some nights the teaser out fishes the plug 10 to 1. Just think about it your presenting 2 types of bait at once, your definitely increasing your chances!

View Postnice, thank you. I assume it increases your strikes? As for the presentation, is it mimicking your plug chasing a smaller baitfish?

I honestly don't think so but maybe. I just think it's a way to get something smaller down to where the fish are at. A lot of times I can feel my main plug digging into shallow sand bar sand and as soon as I can't feel it digging in(in the trough now) bam.

It's tough to present a 5 3/4" fin-S(or anything small for that matter) 4-7 feet down with it floating/wiggling in the current. BTW, put your teaser hook on some sort of loop knot. It gives the teaser a lot of action in the current.

John

View PostAs for the presentation, is it mimicking your plug chasing a smaller baitfish?

Natural instinct is how it was explained to me. Fish sees something being chased, so it wants to get in on the action.

Fish them a lot in the early spring as the fish in the western sound feed first on small bait, middle to end of may when blues show up I will give them up unless I am fishing at night and I am fishing it in front of a swimmer.

In lieu of the teaser will go to a 3/4 shorty with a green or yellow tail

Will look at them again in the fall especially if the prevalent bait is sand eels as it has been the last few years and just take my chances with the blues.