Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55chev

Plug Kits?????

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone ever tried em? I was looking at them online and they look kind of nice. It looks like a good way to test the waters of building before dropping serious $$$$. Just curious. Any feedback is much appreciated!

View PostHe who must not be named .biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Inquiring (relatively) newbs are intrigued and wonder if there is something someone could search on here in the forums to glean what was done to earn such a dubious non-name.

That's how I started. Might be called cheating, but I bought some to get started on the shapes and where the weights go, hooks, etc. It's how you get hooked into buying shop tools and lure making supplies! biggrin.gif Do it and don't look back!

Sorry,

didn't know you couldn't mention his name. FYI. 9 of his plug kits were sold, by name, last week in the BST. That's what got me looking. Again, I apologize if I ruffled some feathers.

I built a few kits. Wanted to build some plugs, wasn't going to invest in a lathe. Painted with spray cans, came out great. Got some nice plugs without going crazy buying equipment and materials.

Its a great way to start learning some of the process without having all the tools. There are a few vendors out there and the kits are different quality and build around different types of wood.

I started out with kits and learn to seal, prime, paint and epoxy. I also started modifying kits to get the action I wanted. I bought a few pikie kits and they swam subsurface as sold, but by drilling, adding a chin weight and filling a hook hole, I was able to get the action I wanted on the surface.

That said, after making kits, I ended up buying a lathe and need a bandsaw now.