Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
55chev

Depth-O-Plug temperature guage

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen one? I was looking at an old timers collection of mostly junk and came across one of these in the box in good condition. I have never seen one before. Pretty cool little gadget. Wondering when they were made / discontinued. Sorry, no pics frown.gif

View PostHas anyone ever seen one? I was looking at an old timers collection of mostly junk and came across one of these in the box in good condition. I have never seen one before. Pretty cool little gadget. Wondering when they were made / discontinued. Sorry, no pics frown.gif

Black bass gimmick if I remember correctly. Think Roland Martin was behind them. Late seventies I believe.

The idea was that the thing would tell you the color of plug you should use by measuring the water temp at the depth you planned to fish.

I had one when I was a kid. A precurser to the the electronics age. The first stab into the primordial question what is really down there and how deep is it? Mine had sort of little thermometer in it so you could read the temps too. Have not thought about that thing in 30 yrs ..... I think I went to middle school and sat on a computer that was hooked to a typewriter type thing and wrote some programs in basic. Then when I got home I went fishing and cast my depth-0-plug into the pond. Who knew??