Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Light Tackle

NYer heading to Sandbridge June26-July3. Help please!!

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I'm a long time surf fisherman from Long Island and a previous owner of a tackle shop.This year I will be spending a week in Sandbridge Virginia. I've done some reading around and I'm looking forward to doing some fishing while I am down there.

I'm most likely bringing my 8WT Fly Rod, 9' Lami VS 150 and a heavier Conventional rod for throwing bait.

I've been reading the reports you guys have posted and see some sharks being caught and I would love to give it a shot for them as well as the smaller fish.

I'm familiar with basic bait rigs for the smaller species and the traditional fish finder rigs for the Stripers and Drum.

I also want to do some plugging and will be bringing bucktails, tins and a large assortment of swimmers and poppers.

I'm just looking for a little more info on what to bring and what fish I can expect to have a shot at while I am down there for the week. Any help is appreciated and I will have my computer down there with me and will keep you all updated on how I am making out.

Thanks in advance!

-Jr.

July might not be the best time you could head down there for surf action but you never know. If sharks are what you want, than that could be a very real opportunity as there should be many sand sharks and dusky sharks around. The place is pretty well known for their fall drum run which kicks into high gear in September. There is also a pier there with up to date fishing reports. Everything from tarpon to cobia are sometimes caught off the pier in the summer. The kayak guys often get into the schools of drum and cobia pretty well around there paddling just outside the reach of the surf fishermen.

If you google the sandbridge pier I'm sure something will pop up. Also check tidal fish web site, the Virginia anglers forum. I am not allowed to post links on this board so I hope this will work.

I would try pretty hard to get on a boat. As the shore fishing will be kind of slow, except for sharks. There are not too many striped bass around now and the season is closed anyway. Flounder, speckled trout and puppy drum are inside the inlet at Rudee and Lynnhaven however. Light tackle Largemouth bass tackle is preferred with small plastics on jig heads or gulp for those species. Snapper blue fish are also around. The dock lights at night heat up with an assortment of fish and often offer good catch and release striped bass action. The 8wt is perfect for that situation.

Cobia is the name of the game down there for the near shore boat anglers that time of year. Them and huge schools of red drum if you're lucky enough to run into one. And spade fish. Good luck.

Jon. Thanks a bunch.

I'm going to focus most of my efforts towards the Sharking. I would assume bunker or any of the other smaller fish to be worth using as bait? Also is any time of the day better?

I'm going to be bringing my 7' St. Croix Mojo with Stradic 3000FI to use for some light tackle fun as well. I use this for fluking up here and I'm very good with soft plastics and bucktails. Are there any decent freshwater areas around Sandbridge?

As far as the boat goes I wasn't really planning on going on a charter but I might have to give it a try if the price is right.

-Jr

Well I just arrived and there are bunker schools all over the beach!!

I'm going to settle in and then hit the beach to try to snag some and try my luck for sharks at dusk.

Any tips would be appreciated!