Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pogie_boy

The only splash I heard last night....

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Not sure if IDIOT is the appropriate word to describe this person. He's a young guy with "mental health issues". He is very lucky to be alive to get a second chance. I'm glad for him and his family that he is okay.

View PostNot sure if IDIOT is the appropriate word to describe this person. He's a young guy with "mental health issues". He is very lucky to be alive to get a second chance. I'm glad for him and his family that he is okay.

Agreed. Hopefully he'll be able to take full advantage of his second chance.

I just came upon a random fact:

Both the Bourne and Mt. Hope Bridges have a ship clearance height of 135 feet!

The fact that the guy in the story survived is pretty miraculous. But not nearly as miraculous as the handful of people that have survived a jump off of the Golden Gate Bridge (220 feet of vertical clearance).

The documentary The Bridge is something hard to recommend but hard to forget. In 2004 a crew spent an entire year filming the bridge 24/7 and captured 23 people committing suicide.

Every one of them could have been easily prevented by building a suicide barrier, but cost and visual appeal are reasons too I guess...confused.gif

I think based on this, the state of R.I. needs to close the bridge to prevent anything like this from happening again.

Bridges are nothing but a liability. We need to close them all.

View PostI think based on this, the state of R.I. needs to close the bridge to prevent anything like this from happening again.

Bridges are nothing but a liability. We need to close them all.

It's been a while since I've been on the Mt. Hope Bridge.

Does it even have a suicide prevention fence?

View PostIt's been a while since I've been on the Mt. Hope Bridge.

Does it even have a suicide prevention fence?

Before this gets taken the wrong way, I'm only being a jerk.cwm27.gif

Did a lot of drinking and other things near the bridge in my college days......

Use to joke during mid terms and finals if anyone had $.15 to pay the toll..( it was $.30 then)...Only going half way .......

Sucks that life gets people so down that they think that ending it is the only way....I know a med condition was involved with this kid but it seems this year+ has had alot of people thinking and acting on this thought.....

I lost a good friend last Oct. who could not take any more and ended his life...He left a wife and son behind ... I think of him every day.....

View PostI just came upon a random fact:

Both the Bourne and Mt. Hope Bridges have a ship clearance height of 135 feet!

The fact that the guy in the story survived is pretty miraculous. But not nearly as miraculous as the handful of people that have survived a jump off of the Golden Gate Bridge (220 feet of vertical clearance).

The documentary The Bridge is something hard to recommend but hard to forget. In 2004 a crew spent an entire year filming the bridge 24/7 and captured 23 people committing suicide.

Every one of them could have been easily prevented by building a suicide barrier, but cost and visual appeal are reasons too I guess...confused.gif

OK, since they can't jump off the Bridge then, what's then to prevent them from stepping in front of a Bus? You can't protect People from them self, it just isn't going to happen. What's next, 'Suicide Nets' around every Building taller the 3 Stories? Oh snap, once upon a time a Congress Critter actually wanted a 'Law' passed requiring that very thing......kooky.gif