Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Angler #1

All Sandwich Beaches

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

will be closed from 9 in the evening until 6 in the morning.

At a public hearing by the Sandwich board of selectmen last night in regards to new beach regulations by the beach committee and the Towns natural resource officer a recommendation was made to impliment beach regulations that will close every Sandwich beach from the period of time above. Understanding that Sandwich does not have any way of enforcing such a closer, but it felt it was needed to protect the beaches from further degrading and to protecting the natural bird habitat. I told them that you will be in conflict with the colonial law that protects the rights of those who fish along those beaches at night to do as long as they have a legal excess.

The board asked the Natural Resource Director for a responce and all he would say is that he was not a lawer. Keeping in mind our Natural Resource Director only concern is closing down the beaches so he does not need to do his job.

This same colonial law also protects all Great Ponds like Peters from the placement of illegal piers and floats along the public way before they get a permit to do so.

Well it seems that he has made arrangements to see that 8 new peirs 10 x 50 feet long will be placed on one corner of the pond to further impede the fishing and boating rights of the general public. This does not eeven cover all the illegal piers he has allready looked the other way on over his many years as Our Natural Resource Director, that he has allowed to be built in the middle of the night on Peters Pond.

Instead of protecting the rights for the general public trust he has seen fit to ignore the Colonial Act that protects the rights of others to use public property.

One thing that I did get stated from the Beach Committee during the public hearing was that Fishermen will be welcomed to use the beaches, because they know we also all care about this valuable resource for future generations. Non the less look to have conflicts in enforcement and carry the colonial act document with you at all times to protect your legal rights to fish the beaches any time 24/7

Carl,

Before I comment, I'm not clear on something.confused.gif

When you say "all beaches", does that include salt water beaches such as Town Neck as well?

Carl, thank you for posting this and for your involvement so far. Where can one obtain a copy of the Colonial Act? Hopefully I don't have to sift through the Mass.gov site.

the ruling affects all Salt water beaches at this time and does not include the fresh water ones.. Including Town Neck in paticular.

No fee structure has been worked out on violations, but warnings will be issued for flargrant violations, until the fees schedule is worked out as I understand it.

Carl.....thanks for your involvement in the Selectmen meetings. Your subsequent heads-up is great feedback for those involved in marine activities.

As Sandwich goes.....can other towns be far behind in crafting their own restrictions? Let's hope not.

about the new beach committee regulations and what has been recommended by them and the Feds. When I parcipated at the meeting last night I was surprised by what they came up with and I thought it was only going to be for the July 4 weekend and when i had the opporutunity to address the hearing I sked them if it was only going to be for that week end and I was told No it was going to be all year. That is when I stated that you will be in conflict with the Colonial Law and the rights of fishermen to fish.these beaches at night.

The Natural Resource Director got caught with his pants down and did not have any answers, but the beach committee had not been made aware of this act until I brought it up for discussion. You will signage to this closing being placed along the beach front in the next severel weeks.

They attempted to close down Cravens landing a few years ago and only after I disclosed that this was State property did they enforce the fishing rights to park and fish at that location. One can now park and fish at Cravens landing as long as you are actively fishing or take a chance on being tickets or towed at your expence.

Amazing.....Just amazing.shakehead.gif

I used to fish Town Neck beach with my Dad back in the mid 60's. I fished the major fall blitzes on Sandwich Creek while in college. One day I fished right alongside pitching great, Wilbur Wood.

Now to think I can't even stroll down there in my wader and a fly rod and catch schoolies is unthinkable.frown.gif

Bob wait till they close the canal to night fishing. I am not saying this to be funny either. The people that have moved to the Cape in the last 15 years do not like shoreline fisherman. These people have become ingrained in the decision making process in most of the towns. We are considered knuckle dragging neanderthals.

View PostBob wait till they close the canal to night fishing. I am not saying this to be funny either. The people that have moved to the Cape in the last 15 years do not like shoreline fisherman. These people have become ingrained in the decision making process in most of the towns. We are considered knuckle dragging neanderthals.

Unless another 9/11-like event precipitates it for security reasons, the canal will never close to fishing, day or night. Homeowners abutting the canal don't like shore fishermen, but the canal itself is owned and operated by the C of E, in other words, the federal govt. The canal was there BEFORE any of those homes were built. Recreational activities is a primary C of E mission statement.

However, other towns on the Cape may well follow suit as a means of cutting patrol $$$, and custodian costs associated with maintaining public beaches.

I just got off the phone a little while ago with the Sandwich PD and the Town Hall. Sandwich PD had not been notified of any closures or time restrictions for the beaches. Town Hall told me that there were no restrictions on night fishing as long as the parking is legal.

Hmmm....

......first they are closing the cape side of the canal.headscratch.gif

......then they were installing parking meters.headscratch.gif

......now they're closing the beaches at night.headscratch.gif

......What's next? Leo's?cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif