Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jetskibrian

"Pimp Your Ride" and Jet Ski Fishing Chesapeake Light Tower

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I had a call a couple months ago from a guy named Kenny who had questions about jet ski fishing and rigging up a jet ski. He had recently sold his boat but still wanted to fish and felt that jet ski fishing would suit him best. Kenny bought a used Yamaha FXHO that was in good shape and had low hours. I put him in touch with the fabricator who rigged up my ski, Albert of Martins Custom Structures in Gloucester Virginia.

Albert had some new ideas and Kenny said he "wanted it all", he got it all. This Yamaha has multiple rod holders, gps/fish finder, navigation lights, remote control spot light, extra deep cycle battery, soft top and wind sheild, cooler rack, anchor and spear gun holder, a 12 gallon tank mounted below the coolers and hard wired with tranfer pump. There are probably some thngs I left out. Albert has rigged 10 personal water craft now and this was his most extensive to date.

I told Kenny I was going to the Chesapeake Light Tower today so he towed his pwc down from Richmond and met me at Owls Creek boat ramp. We departed Rudee Inlet at around 1030 hrs to great conditions of 1 foot or less and averaged about 45 mph on the 15 mile trip offshore. There were tons of bait all along the ocean front today.

The Spadefish bite was slow today so all the fish were taken by speargun today. It felt great to be in the water with air temps today close 100 degrees.

Unfortunately for Kenny, a motor mount broke on the way back in and I had to tow him back the last 7 miles with my Yamaha SUV. It should be an easy fix for him.

Another great day on the water and I will have Spadefish for dinner tomorrow. Here are some picture I took.

bait-1.jpg

DSC_0020f.jpg

kenny1.jpg

kenny2.jpg

DSC_0071b.jpg

light-3.jpg

DSC_0073c.jpg

DSC_0074c.jpg

i was thinking of a jetski since a boat isn't in my future and that is simply incredible. if i got one it wouldn't be quite that complex tho! are those custom add ons, or just individual parts?

View PostI put him in touch with the fabricator who rigged up my ski, Albert of Martins Custom Structures in Gloucester Virginia.. This Yamaha has multiple rod holders, gps/fish finder, navigation lights, remote control spot light, extra deep cycle battery, soft top and wind sheild, cooler rack, anchor and spear gun holder, a 12 gallon tank mounted below the coolers and hard wired with tranfer pump.

He does amazing work, that thing is unbelievable.

Kenny's rig is cool but the front part IMHO would get in teh way while fishing. Also that picture wheer Kenny is airbourne, is that when he broke the motor mount?

Its definetely cool dont get me wrong but why? Why would you sell your boat to spend 12k on a 3person waverunner and probably close to another 10k for all the accessory's? Again im not taking anything away, this is 110% cool but why not buy a boat?

can you do 60mph using your boat?

DBS

View PostIts definetely cool dont get me wrong but why? Why would you sell your boat to spend 12k on a 3person waverunner and probably close to another 10k for all the accessory's? Again im not taking anything away, this is 110% cool but why not buy a boat?

I think you have whet the interest of many. The fabicator; the guy that wanted it all; and, the person who probably really liked the 45mph thing, but posted the question: 60mph? We like what you show us--I had never seen anything like the light tower before, but I like your pictures of the smaller stuff too: like the red bouy in Hatteras Inlet; the oystertoad fish out at the CBBT; and the tiny mahi-mahi. Just as an aside, maybe it's interesting, I had snaged a bluefish that was almost about the size of your mahi-mahi and it had it's teeth.

Thanks, I enjoy doing the posts. It also gives me a great visual record that I can look back at.

Bluefish, like dolphin are voracious feeders. I like to call them the pirhana of the Chesapeake Bay.Ha.