Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed White

Whale Video

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

If you have been on the beaches over the last 2-3 weeks you may have seen a whale or two, they have been around, but I have not seen anything like the video of a humpback that is posted on the Asbury Park Press website, on the lower right hand corner. Here's a pic from the end of the video...1/2 mile off of Point Pleasant. It's on the News12 site as well.

I saw him out there one day on the surface slapping his pec fins on the bait. I would have loved to have seen that breach though. Pretty amazing. Must have looked like a meteor crashing in the ocean from the beach.

I took this w my cell camera,,1st was the surprise whale breach followed by another breach I caught.. 3 casts away..you could see bunkers shimmer,kinda lousey pic,,but considering I caught on a cell and enlarged maybe Nat. Geo. may give me a ring.

View Posthow many bass do ya think it ate?

Good point! I say that those out of state netters should have a harpoon on the front of their boats and they could target both whale and bunker! It's a win for them and a win for us!biggrin.gif

I've been wondering about what it was eating for a couple of weeks now, I assume, since it was cruising around all the bunker schools, that these whales are after bunker, but then, didn't we all learn in school that whales eat krill, little tiny shrimp-like things? Someone said they saw a pic of a whale coming out of the water with a mouthful of bunka......? If they are eating bunker, does that mean less for the bass = hungrier bass for us?

They do eat large baits as well like bunker and herring. That whale was right in a bunker school when I saw him. With their baleen they can also filter feed krill and shrimp.