Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
monkey530

Guy with a Pole

12 posts in this topic

This is my first thread here. I just started getting back into fishing and I can't seem to hook any fish on lures, rubber worms, jigs, buzzbaits, a frog I have. I have only caught one fish and I think it was a perch but that was with a shiner.(Sunfish dun count to me.) I have been out a lot trying to practice technique. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have been fishing the Charles, around Purgatory Cove, that Marriot, and stuff. I also fished a pond around work, Lake Cochituate, and just can't seem to get anything. I mean I know there are times when its hard to catch fish, but this is ridiculous. I have been out 10 times this season logged probably like a total of 40 hours. Should I just go back to live bait? But then those dang sun fish get in my way mad.gif.

For the rubbers, how are you rigging them?

If its texas rigged then make sure the hook point is resting on top and not in the lure...

Now for my favorite way to fish, topwater, for the frogs and buzzbaits dont set the hook when you see the fish, but when you feel it! With frogs, dont expect to land everyfish... i Consider that my specialty and i still only land about 60-70% of the fish that strike.

Also make sure that you are using good hooks!

some of the bites you are feeling may be from fish not big enough to get the lure in their mouths.. bluegills will sometimes peck at a lure and while that feels like a hit it technically isn't a missed hookup ..

now an explosion under a big rubber frog is another story.. obviously that was a bass and a missed hookup.. but as YH94 said even with lots of experience that takes some practice cause your immediate reaction is SET THE HOOK wink.gif .. more details may help pinpoint your problem

It sounds like a case of bad luck coupled with a recent lack of experience. Both the Charles and Lake Cochituate are loaded with Bluegills that will harass your bait but not eat it like the Perch did. I fish some of the same waters and have been having success with spinnerbaits in the am and perch colored Original Rapala's in the evenings. Missing a strike on a Rapala doesn't happen very often!

Bah, I am going to keep trying my luck then and just bring nightcrawlers if I get kind of frustrated... I miss Bait Bucket in Waltham, Now I have to drive to Natick or something if I want Shiners. I got a Rapala original in shad, thought I would catch something on it, haven't so far.

fishing during the day this time of year in FW can be very tough. I usually don't bother to be honest. VERY early morning, or evening/dusk will be better.

View Postfishing during the day this time of year in FW can be very tough. I usually don't bother to be honest. VERY early morning, or evening/dusk will be better.

icon14.gificon14.gif

The only other thing I can add is to mix it up with your retrieves. Fast, slow, pauses, jerks. You'll find out what works after a while.

I'm from NJ but went to BU and did some charles river fishing in the waltham area with considerable luck. I would say maybe switch up your worm color and your retrieve speed. On days when the bite it slow i'll give the worm a few bumps and then let it sit for a bit. Just don't give up or get too frustrated. Fishing is very exciting and rewarding, but many times only after a lot of experimentation and frustration. Once you figure the fish out you'll be pulling in plenty