Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bido

bildge pump staying on

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a new 24 SH Gamefish and the bildge pump won't click off once it starts. It has happened with both pumps which are brand new side by side Rule 1100's.

The pumps are all in one and there is no external float switch.

When they kick on automatically they will pump out any water in the bildge but not turn off. There is always a small amount of water left in the bottom of the bildge which the pumps can't reach but that shouldn't be enough to keep the internal float switch on.

When I operate them from the console they will turn on and off with no problem...but once they get stuck on even the console control won't turn them off.

To get them to shut off I had to pull them out of their housing mount and shake them around.

Any thoughts?

I've had the same problem. They 'sense' water by current draw...in other words, if there is resistance (water) they pull more amperage and run. In my experience, when they fail, they're done.

I use the 1100 to keep the bildge dry. My bigger pump, a 2000 or 2500 is on a good ol float switch.

View Postdefine "a little water"? Do you have excess bilge hose or is run to the discharge high up? Maybe try an Inline Non-Return valve?

I would say a small area, about a foot by a foot in area on the bottom of the hull and a half inch deep or less. Not enough to trigger the pump to turn on under normal conditions.

Your second statement has me thinking...the discharge is pretty high up, and the hose is a wide OD. When I disconnected them from their housing and shook them a good amount of water came back down the house out of the pump. Maybe the hose is not clearing completely due to the run and the pump thinks there is water still present in the bilge?

The hose will probably stay primed anyway, theres no way to pump every drop out with the typical pump, a diaphram pump might.

I mounted my auto switch pump higher up, 3 inches on a wooden block.

I have a manual switch pump sitting on the bottom.

If the auto pump goes on I switch the other on too.

Having an autoswitched pump in the bottom of the bilge can cause it to constantly flick on and off as water surges around, that will wear something out and clog something.