Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avalon61

In the surf at Avalon

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I've spent many summers in Avalon, and have enjoyed catching all the King Fish that I can handle. I started reading about catching Striper's and am going to try my hand when I go in early July. Any suggestions? Everyone I've talked with in town reccommends the 8th street jetty; however, it's a little bit busy for me there.

My suggestion would be to either toss some chunk baits into the wash after dark or get out very early right before sunrise and throw some metal and plugs until the sun rises above the horizon. Look during the day to find some deep water holes/troughs or cuts in the bars.. Then fish those area's at night...

*I see alot of members posting about coming down to Cape May County for vacation and wanting to target Striped Bass off the Surf. But in my opinion there are better opprotunities in the back bays..

**Feel Free To Contact me via PM for more information about that...

View PostI've spent many summers in Avalon, and have enjoyed catching all the King Fish that I can handle. I started reading about catching Striper's and am going to try my hand when I go in early July. Any suggestions? Everyone I've talked with in town reccommends the 8th street jetty; however, it's a little bit busy for me there.

A man after my own heart - too busy = go somewhere else, I completely concur.

Which is why we don't discuss specific spots here. Post a spot report and you're telling 10,000 people exactly where to go. 25 guys probably will - which means you don't get to fish your own spot because now it's too crowded (I've seen exactly this scenario happen with my own eyes)

(if someone wants to send him a PM, that's fine)

Stick to this format, it's the top post on every report thread in this forum

View Postlease, let's keep this thread for reports. If you want to make comments or ask a question or two, that's fine. I do not want the free for all that ensued in the past to become a pattern. Please bear in mind that it's a full time job editing these posts.....don't make that job that much harder, please.

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader. Please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

DB- Delaware Bay__________________

Save a few noggins off those kingfish. At last light drop one in the "gulley" on a fishfinder rig. I assume you know the gulley as you are a regular fisherman in Avalon. But, if not PM me.

Also as Steve suggested, many good back bay opportunities to take bass.

Russ

I appreciate the advice and apologize for violating the rules. I'm really trying to understand this beach reading technique as I think this would dramatically change my results. The article that "Poppy" posted was extemly helpful, but practice makes perfect I suppose. I like the aspect of Back Bay fishing, but do not have acess to a boat. Thanks again and Happy hunting.

View PostI appreciate the advice and apologize for violating the rules. I'm really trying to understand this beach reading technique as I think this would dramatically change my results. The article that "Poppy" posted was extemly helpful, but practice makes perfect I suppose.

No problem, welcome aboard smile.gif

Yes it will

It helps, but there's always lots more to learn.

The more you learn, the less you realize you know.

When you reach the point that you think your a complete idiot, yer ready to catch some fish. biggrin.gif

Been fishing Avalon and the surrounding area for about 20 years, you only really have 3 basic places for surf side if you don't have a boat. Kind of difficult not to spot burn. You have a good chance to catch a striper if they are actually there regardless if you use lures or bait. Most of the time they're not there though. The fishing isn't anything like the places up north talked about on this forum, but it's still enjoyable none the less. You'll have a much better chance to catch some small blues or flounder(especially right now), or some sand sharks heh.

If the Brown Sharks show up early they're a lot of fun at night. Big Chunks on big gear and a 10/0 circle at night off any beach you can find a hole. Use a steel leader to avoid getting bitten off and hold on!! They'll take you for a ride.