Artificial all the way

Fluke migration pattern and info

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, TimS said:

Mike...potentially silly question...but aren't monkfish on the bottom? :)

Better to say that they are "near" the bottom, unlike fluke which are literally on the bottom. Hence the difference in gill nets. Also keep in mind that a lot of those monkfish boats also have fluke licenses. And also keep in mind that most monkfish are caught in trawls.

Edited by MakoMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike :)  I think in this area monkfish are primarily harvested with gill nets in the late fall. I have no idea what NJ's monkfish industry makes up as a percentage of total landings...but they do gill net them here and in exactly the same bumpy bottom areas that large fluke are feeding in before heading off shore. Never seen a fluke in a gill net...then again, I've only ever caught one ghost fishing piece of gill net in my life - it had dead everything in it...but no fluke.

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TimS said:

I've only ever caught one ghost fishing piece of gill net in my life - it had dead everything in it...but no fluke.

 

TimS

got my anchor in one near the "oil wreck". No winch on that boat. I didn't think I was ever getting it back. Two of us took turns for about 40 minutes. Got some nice lobster & Stone crabs for the effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe said:

got my anchor in one near the "oil wreck". No winch on that boat. I didn't think I was ever getting it back. Two of us took turns for about 40 minutes. Got some nice lobster & Stone crabs for the effort.

Nothing as exciting as lobster or stone crab in the one we caught off Spring Lake :squid:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 4:59 PM, MakoMike said:

Very few fluke are killed in the Monkfish gill net fishery, But VTRs and server data is counted in the stock assessments. Gill nets have to almost lie on the bottom to catch flatfish, but that would be vey inefficient in catching monk fish.

Do you know any monk fisherman? I know one, and they catch a LOT of fluke over the winter, mostly giant ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nateD said:

Do you know any monk fisherman? I know one, and they catch a LOT of fluke over the winter, mostly giant ones.

Yes I do. We were talking about fluke by catch in New England in the gill net fishery. IOW we were talking about by catch north of cape cod, Not a lot of fluke up there during the winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend would drive out to Pt. Judith to go on his trips, no idea where they were actually fishing but I'm pretty positive it was with gill nets.  You must hear stories of the Monk fisherman out there catching giant fluke.  I know they were allowed to keep some but most get tossed back dead, along with dolphins, turtles, etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, nateD said:

My friend would drive out to Pt. Judith to go on his trips, no idea where they were actually fishing but I'm pretty positive it was with gill nets.  You must hear stories of the Monk fisherman out there catching giant fluke.  I know they were allowed to keep some but most get tossed back dead, along with dolphins, turtles, etc....

the was most likely due to the state's landing limits, which during most of the summer season is 50 or 100 pounds. Nothin to do with the NEFMC or MAFMC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These were posted to a FB fluke fishing group last night, but were quickly removed.  I wonder why?  Just some commercial fisherman trying to feed their families and regaling of the giant fluke they catch all winter long....:headscratch:

 

Per the original poster, the second picture was in February in a monkfish/skate gillnet.

 

 

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Comm. legal size is 14" ....so to answer the OP....yes, I guess we're tossing them back to be caught by Fed. licensed fishermen. Know a few who are doing just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, Kneel said:

These were posted to a FB fluke fishing group last night, but were quickly removed.  I wonder why?  Just some commercial fisherman trying to feed their families and regaling of the giant fluke they catch all winter long....:headscratch:

 

Per the original poster, the second picture was in February in a monkfish/skate gillnet.

 

 

IMG_0780.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

Looks like it should be weighed in, tossed in a cooler and eaten by a raccoon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

I believe the Comm. legal size is 14" ....so to answer the OP....yes, I guess we're tossing them back to be caught by Fed. licensed fishermen. Know a few who are doing just that.

It's like you didn't even read the other responses in this thread :)

 

They don't WANT to keep 14" fluke - they are FORCED to keep 14" fluke :read:

 

TimS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.