Artificial all the way

Fluke migration pattern and info

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I'm looking for information on fluke yearly travels and commercial fishing for them here in New England.

From what I read Fluke run off shore and winter out in the ocean. Don't know much more than that. I'm wondering where they go and if there is commercial fishing for them out there. I ask this because for the last 3 straight years and including day before yesterday I boated a crap load of 18 to 19" fish with very few keepers. Seems to reason those 18" fish from last yr and the years prior would be back over 20". They def are not coming in at that size in those numbers. Also the larger Fluke come in to RI and Fishers Island before the smaller fish each year. Very few larger fish this year compared to the last 3.

I'm wondering if we are all tossing back these 18" fish for the commercial fisherman to scoop up off shore. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

I don't know the answer to that question. But one little tidbit of information that is out there and buried in more information is that fluke grow 12" their first year and 1" each year thereafter. So this years 19" is next years 20" - this years 14" is 2016's 20.

Fluke spend the winter out near the edge of the continental shelf, usually in 50-55 fathoms of water. Yes there is a commercial fishery for them out there, in fact that is the where and when that the vast majority of the commercial fishing quote is caught. BTW- the commercial size limit on fluke is 14 inches, so those 18 or 19 inch fish have survived the winter fishery.

They migrate inshore during the early spring and the bigger fish head-up the migration they usually arrive inshore at the same time as the squid. They congregate over hard bottom in the late summer or fall and then head back out to the deeper water, again with the larger fish going first.

The best time to fish for fluke commercially is in the winter because all the fish school up on the ledges of the continental shelf- 40 to 65 fathoms is where they typically fish in new jersey. You see mostly all large fish 16 inches and up, Id say one out of 5 is 4 pounds or better. This varies from the one out of 50 fish you'll see over 4 pounds in the summer time.

If you are from massachusetts, there is not much of a winter fishery for fluke however, as the quota for MA is small, and only small trip limit were allowed for most of the new bedford guys. I think the point judith guys fish for them more, because RI has a greater quota . Could be wrong about that, and things are changing with sector management. Boats with NC and VA landing permits have the really big trip limits. they mostly fish from the hudson to the baltimore canyon.

What it seems to me is that there is a body of fluke that NEVER moves in shore. While a lot do, some continue to stay in the deeper areas throughout summer. A lot of these fish are the larger ones. There are some ridiculously huge fluke on georges bank.

Thank you guys. the more I learn the more pissed off I get.

The commercial fishing industry has some great lobbyist to make the laws in there favor. The more 18" fish we toss back the more they get to take in the winter. True many fish don't come in shore. Off Block in deeper waters they hang out all summer. But the only reason they pushed up all the New England states passed 18" is for the commercial guys. That really stinks. Almost as bad as them upping the commercial striper limits so they can now scoop them up off shore all winter. Dam shame. If we put 5 bucks in each and gave it to a lobbyist we could over bride the commercial lobbyist and take back control over out fisheries.

Any lobbyist on the site that could bribe some law makers?

Not a abd morning. over 75 fluke with 5 keepers from 22 to 25". Makes up for the last 2 runs with no keepers.

0702001240a.jpg

View Post I think the point judith guys fish for them more, because RI has a greater quota . Could be wrong about that, and things are changing with sector management. Boats with NC and VA landing permits have the really big trip limits. they mostly fish from the hudson to the baltimore canyon.

No sectors in the fluke fishery (yet). Up until the last year or so the recreational fishermen caught far more fluke than the commercial fishermen. They weren't supposed to but they went far over the recreational limits, year after year after year. That's the reason for the increased size limits and reduced bag limits. I think last year was the first year in the last ten that the recreational sector did not overfish its limit.

View PostNo sectors in the fluke fishery (yet). Up until the last year or so the recreational fishermen caught far more fluke than the commercial fishermen. They weren't supposed to but they went far over the recreational limits, year after year after year. That's the reason for the increased size limits and reduced bag limits. I think last year was the first year in the last ten that the recreational sector did not overfish its limit.

Who says recs went over the limit? The reporting is seriously flawed. Not saying that the limit wasn't exceeded, only that given the current system there is no way of knowing what the number is.

View PostWho says recs went over the limit? The reporting is seriously flawed. Not saying that the limit wasn't exceeded, only that given the current system there is no way of knowing what the number is.

I don't disagree that the MRFSS is flawed, but when it says we went over every year for the last ten years, except to last year, I have to think it at least directionally correct.

View PostNo sectors in the fluke fishery (yet). Up until the last year or so the recreational fishermen caught far more fluke than the commercial fishermen. They weren't supposed to but they went far over the recreational limits, year after year after year. That's the reason for the increased size limits and reduced bag limits. I think last year was the first year in the last ten that the recreational sector did not overfish its limit.

Sorry but that just like any other report you get by asking tackle shops and BS tall tale fishermen is just that, total BS. Can anyone provide a study. paper, report, or anything that shows where the info came from?

There is no facts what so ever to support that rec fisherman take more fish than Comm. It's guess work at best.

View PostSorry but that just like any other report you get by asking tackle shops and BS tall tale fishermen is just that, total BS. Can anyone provide a study. paper, report, or anything that shows where the info came from?

There is no facts what so ever to support that rec fisherman take more fish than Comm. It's guess work at best.

You'll have to dig it out of the meeting minutes and tech committee reports of the ASMFC and MAFMC, but its in there. It's not summarized so you'll have to search on a year-by-year basis. Commercials get 60% of the total catch, recreationals get 40%. So it doesn't take a lot of overage for the recreationals to outfish the commercials, The commercial catch is strictly monitored via boat and dealer reporting. I'm an advisor for fluke, scup and sea bass for both the ASMFC and MAFMC so I see the reports every year.

View PostYou'll have to dig it out of the meeting minutes and tech committee reports of the ASMFC and MAFMC, but its in there. It's not summarized so you'll have to search on a year-by-year basis. Commercials get 60% of the total catch, recreationals get 40%. So it doesn't take a lot of overage for the recreationals to outfish the commercials, The commercial catch is strictly monitored via boat and dealer reporting. I'm an advisor for fluke, scup and sea bass for both the ASMFC and MAFMC so I see the reports every year.

I might agree that REPORTED commercial landings are exceeded by ESTIMATED recreational landings but that's about it. I do not think the reported commercial numbers represent all of the commercial landings. I am also willing to bet that there are significant unreported and illegal catches made by the commercial sector.

View PostI might agree that REPORTED commercial landings are exceeded by ESTIMATED recreational landings but that's about it. I do not think the reported commercial numbers represent all of the commercial landings. I am also willing to bet that there are significant unreported and illegal catches made by the commercial sector.

Some? Maybe. Significant? I doubt it, who would the fishermen sell them to? Dealers also have to report and there are almost always legal fluke to be caught, so why would a dealer risk his license and big fines to buy illegal fish? I could see some fish going through the back door of a restaurant, but not anything significant. Also keep in mind that majority of the commercial catch is caught during the winter when there aren't many boats on the water, making it much easier for the fish cops to keep tabs on the few that are on the water.

MakoMike said:
View PostSome? Maybe. Significant? I doubt it, who would the fishermen sell them to? Dealers also have to report and there are almost always legal fluke to be caught, so why would a dealer risk his license and big fines to buy illegal fish? I could see some fish going through the back door of a restaurant, but not anything significant. Also keep in mind that majority of the commercial catch is caught during the winter when there aren't many boats on the water, making it much easier for the fish cops to keep tabs on the few that are on the water.

NO NO NO!

Commercials are all pirates and the recs are all way under quota, and any numbers that say otherwise are wrong.

beatin.gifbiggrin.gif

Without getting into the politics of it. I see no way anyone can call 14 for commercials and 21 for recs fair. Especially with fluke as the bread and butter for saltwater fishing related businesses (BT stores, sporting goods stores, PB's, hotels, restaurants, boat dealers, etc.) in the NY/NJ area. Fluke is the #1 fish for family entertainment. Period.

And people wonder why the "Jersey Shore" party scene is what it is now. kooky.gif