Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paranoidjack

Broken Penn Rod

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I swear, I will never, ever, ever buy Penn again.

I was going to buy a 760 slammer, fortunately I didn't and bought a 12000 baitrunner. Love it, everything about it, awesome reel. My friend bought the 760 and hates it all the time, the way the bail snaps down after it spins on a cast and hits that STUPID knob to close the bail - who designed that??? Penns may have been hot potatoes years ago, but since the Chinese were introduced they are crap now.

However, they were out of stock on the lamis and st croix so I took a Penn Powerstick for $100. I hated the distance to the first eye on the rod (slap, slap, slap) from the first day I had it. The action is crap and it feels like a large wooden stick.

Tonight I was sending my Danny out, 3 1/2 oz and the rod made a terrible noise. I had JUST put on my first steel leader of the year since there were blues around, so I dismissed it as maybe having the leader higher than I thought and hitting the first eye. Even after reeling it in I pulled on the lure pretty hard to ensure it wasn't the rod. Checked that the ferrule was fully inserted (as habit dictates, but surely after that terrible crackling noise) and it was fully seated.

Next cast, SNAP, rod snaps in half 3" ABOVE the ferrule, clearly no fault of the ferrule/insertion.

I hated this rod the first cast I had in November, and I hate it even more now.

Headed up tomorrow to Foxboro to exchange it. Pretty angry I decided to buy at Bass Pro when I use local B&T ALWAYS, except that one day when I decided to take a field trip.

Now I have to drive 3 hours for this!

Bahhhh!

Any recommendations in the 9' - 11' $150ish range?

Star Rods is putting out some decent surf rods these days, check out the stellar surf. Good actions and they're a little north or south of 100 bucks depending on model. Lifetime warranty on them. They fish like a more expensive rod.

Is it the Powerstick surf with cork tape handle? I'll either buy the bottom section from you or sell you a top. I've got one that had an unfortunate incident with the canal rocks - totally my fault. My hand ended up as broke as the rod. redface.gif

View PostIs it the Powerstick surf with cork tape handle? I'll either buy the bottom section from you or sell you a top. I've got one that had an unfortunate incident with the canal rocks - totally my fault. My hand ended up as broke as the rod. redface.gif

Yeah - same one. If Bass Pro won't do anything for me, I'll consider selling the bottom half. I surely don't want the top, as I hate this rod and everything about it. Sorry to hear about your incident though, that's terrible!

View PostYeah - same one. If Bass Pro won't do anything for me, I'll consider selling the bottom half. I surely don't want the top, as I hate this rod and everything about it. Sorry to hear about your incident though, that's terrible!

It was a couple of years ago, all healed up now. You know what they say, education can be painful! biggrin.gif Doesn't matter if the fish are blitzing, you still need to be careful on the dark colored rocks.

It's not my go to stick by any means, but it makes a good loaner. Sometimes use it to sling bait as well. Is (was?) yours a 9' or 10'er?

Agree, plus the D-Blue line too. And for a few more bucks, a Mojo is great if you can find one.

-bd

View PostThe Tsunami's are reasonably priced and do agood job.

st. croix has a line of rods that are around the 150-200 range, or you could look to buy a custom rod used-even used the blanks are usually gaurenteed for life at this point i don't forsee myself ever buying another penn product

I had bought a Penn Pursuit 10' surf rod back before Decathlon Sports went out of business. On my second trip, about my 3rd of 4th cast the same thing happened.

I returned it and exchanged it for an 11' Ugly Stick, and I haven't had a ny regrets.

I have doubtd the integrity of ALL and ANY Penn rods and reels since then, and will avoid them like the plague!

Well, you are looking at the freshwater models. Here's the link to the surf stuff: cwm15.gif

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/mojo-surf

-bd

View Postbd, those mojos seem a little short no?

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/St-Cr...croix-mojo.htm

I'd LOVE to have a shorter, stronger rod - but will I be able to actually get long (HARD) casts with a 8' rod?

View PostWell, you are looking at the freshwater models. Here's the link to the surf stuff: cwm15.gif

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/mojo-surf

-bd

Thanks!

As for the guy that suggestion custom, well - I'd love that, but frankly, I wouldn't even know what to look for, or where to go! It's kind of like a caveman selecting the bells and whistles on his new Lexus.