Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prostituna

Bait Pens?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I been looking into making a bait pen to keep at the dock for my pogies and or bluefish to stay alive and im finally now going to start drawing up some plans seeing that i get a hernia at work and am sitting at home going crazykooky.gif for 2 months. im looking for some ideas/suggestions. Has anyone made one of these before? i know you can buy them, i just figured i could utilize some of my free time. if anyone has any pictures, plans or suggestions for one please post. i have some ideas but multiple opinions are always great.

THANKS MIKE

My local bait and tackle stocks a new style bait pen with giant mesh, draw string, and pool noodle to keep it afloat. Thick coated steel or plastic wire keeps it formed. It can collapse and pack up easy. Several captains in my area bought it for poagie storage. No feedback yet.

google : Taco Marine Live Bait

It looks easy to make. Pricey at 80 bucks for the large one.

I have something that I believe is similar to what Riddler is talking about - I bought it from Offshore Angler about 15 years ago and since I've ceased using bait, I might be willing to part with it. Mine is only like 3 ft deep and 3 ft wide though

Get the soft plastic saftey netting from home depot, tons of zip ties and some plastic conduit. An oval of about 2' x 4' will hold lots of bait.

sam

i made one yesterday and filled it with macks today. i went to a shop in gloucester and got 1x1 mesh wire for traps and keeper cars. i made a circle 32" in diameter and about 40" deep. hog ringed it together and cut the top and bottom in place. then went in and cut a door and fit a lid slightly larger than the hole in it. add pool noodles x4 and your off to the races.

I hope this attachment works. If not, Google "Shoals Coastal Floating Bait Pen". We use these for "white bait" in Florida and they're great! There are some that don't have the vertical poles and just collapse when you lay them on the dock. Be sure to keep it in an area with good water flow.