Leatherface

Surf Belt Photos!

Rate this topic

687 posts in this topic

View PostHere's mine. I need to replace the cheapo lanyards that came with my pliers, but I've got a few old cell phone chargers that I'll use - like the one attached to the lipper.

Nice setup! 2 pairs of pliers?

Being a frugal New England swamp yankee I cobbled mine together with cost effective components.

Dive belt. Hair elastic to hold tag end of belt. Paintball loader tube. Cell phone cords. Duolock clips. Electrical tape. Heat shrink tubing.

At times I attach my Aquaskinz small and/or small-tall bags to it.

View PostBeing a frugal New England swamp yankee I cobbled mine together with cost effective components.

Dive belt. Hair elastic to hold tag end of belt. Paintball loader tube. Cell phone cords. Duolock clips. Electrical tape. Heat shrink tubing.

At times I attach my Aquaskinz small and/or small-tall bags to it.

that's cool woody.. stuff this impresses me WAY more than all those blingy store bought accessories. Making your own stuff feels good biggrin.gif

View PostNice setup! 2 pairs of pliers?

No, one is a Calcutta Release tool I recently picked up (in addition to the lipper). Not sure if I'll actually use it, I like the gripper better. Outside of the tools, etc., I have under $1 into the actual belt - found heavy duty (like seat belt material) nylon strapping for $.01 per inch, a few grommets, and the heavy duty clip I took off an old weight-lifting belt. Works awesome!

View Post... Making your own stuff feels good biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words.

Like catching fish on a fly you tied, a plug you spun, or a rod you wrapped, DIY gear brings a sense of satisfaction that store bought gear can't hope to match.biggrin.gif

That's why I'm going to make my own bag from scratch, including my own square tubes molded out of fiberglass and carbon fiber.wink.gif

OK.. I think I almost have everything for my belt now. I just don't have the belt. biggrin.gif

Well I have the one that came with my waders, but I am going to try and find something a little more durable!

Some great ideas here.

EDIT - Actually I think I am going to need a good dive knife to finish it off.

View PostOK.. I think I almost have everything for my belt now. I just don't have the belt. biggrin.gif

Well I have the one that came with my waders, but I am going to try and find something a little more durable!

Some great ideas here.

EDIT - Actually I think I am going to need a good dive knife to finish it off.

Go to Brothers Police shop on Portion Rd, just east of Nicols on the south side. That's where I get my stuff for work, a nylon duty belt will do the job for ya real well.

View PostGo to Brothers Police shop on Portion Rd, just east of Nicols on the south side. That's where I get my stuff for work, a nylon duty belt will do the job for ya real well.

Thanks! My cousin works for Emergency Services over at Macarthur and he said he may have a spare one laying around. If not, I'll head over to that shop. I pass it all the time and always wondered what they sold in there.

highfive.gif

View PostDo you guys add your own grommets with a kit or something?

I made my belt, and yes, added my own grommets. You can get the kit at Target, Walmart, etc.

View PostThanks! How do they hold up in the salt?

I used them on a plug bag I made and they held up fine. If you're concerned, give them some clear coat once you've put them on.