Leatherface

Surf Belt Photos!

Rate this topic

671 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

I'm slowly setting up my first belt, and while planning this out and looking around, I came to the conclusion that I might have better success if I went shopping for a third arm & hand combo, since I was unable to find either a bag which had a rod holder, or a separate rod holder that could be attached to a belt. 

The closest thing was this (far to small for our applications, but someone was thinking in the right direction)
 s-l1600.jpg

Waist and thigh straps. 

MaxKatt  - How do you like your rod holder? 

I find it essential if you're wetsuiting and doing work out on a rock.  Even if you're on a sand beach though, it's great to have a place to keep the equipment out of the sand or balanced on you while you pick a knot or do other extended work.  I don't use if for plug swaps.  

I use VS and ZB, but still.  The less you subject them to crap the better.  I've had water intrusion in both brands.   They can take an aweful lot, but there's not point in putting them through crap needlessly.  

With that said, I use the rod as a walking stick (submerging reel) and will reel under water when situation calls for it.  

On 9/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, Nomad92 said:

I don't think I've posted my belt previously. Nothing special here. I did purchase everything you see from SOL. Except the knife. I don't recall getting that here. All else...BST forum purchases. 

IMG_0113.JPG.355a61d31b69551d12c9a7bb763170b8.JPG

Who makes that boga holder

15 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

its not perfect but......

......it's not bad. 

For a while, the bow hunter thought.. "Hmmm.. what about some quiver-type holder?"

then the boat cap'n thought..."Maybe something like a stand-up gimbal, but hanging mid-thigh?"

.....but we all know the scene. ... 92.47% of the time, we need to do something at the terminal end of the line-leader & sometimes  we want to do it mighty fast.

We've got the rod in the crook of one elbow, pinned to our side, and we're changing out a plug; opening a clip, glancing up to catch what wave's coming next, opening the bag, swapping out one lure for another, turning sideways so we have half a chance that the wave we spotted doesn't slop right up our chest into our face, closing the clip, checking the clip one more time..... all the while, the weight of the rod relying on how hard we've got it pinned to our side. 

What if.......... at our hip on the belt there were two J-shaped, up-turned fingers, and we could just set the rod down with the reel's post between the two fingers. We'd still have to cradle (the upper part of) the rod in the crook of our elbow, but now all the weight is supported by the belt. 

It's fast -  No clipping this to that. No feeding the butt of the rod into some something & no struggling trying to get it out.
It's simple -  Two pieces joined together on a pivot point, so they can turn independently of each other .. one plate with the two J-shaped fingers, and one plate; the piece designed to connect to the belt. 

There has to be at least one SOL member who has plastics manufacturing experience or connections. We, SOL, could make and test market this item, right within our community to begin. The Shhh...holder. copyright_symbol2.jpg  We could donate any funds to SOL's Children's Christmas fund, or maybe even buy ourselves a cheap lobbyist !!

On 10/3/2019 at 0:17 PM, MaxKatt said:

If that’s to me, that’s actually a rod holder.

what size belt does that fit and who makes that?

thanks

5 hours ago, strats'n'stripers said:

9E84348E-96AC-42F0-8866-B944DBFAEB4D.jpeg.6af8353a5640e21457e50db6862a34f7.jpeggeez, I guess I’m a little behind the times eh?

Don’t change a thing on that. Major Mojo right there!  A few old guys in my deer camp have old gear, and they are savages. Leave that belt alone! 

27 mins ago, D1fishr said:

Don’t change a thing on that. Major Mojo right there!  A few old guys in my deer camp have old gear, and they are savages. Leave that belt alone! 

I’ll try to hold on as long as I can but that plier sheath has just about had it. Sometimes there is a rigged eel pouch on there but with the circle hook regs next year I won’t need it anymore. 

On 9/30/2019 at 11:44 PM, Blank Disc said:

I will carry one of these when fishing heavy braid on jetties. Small sturdy knife. Don't carry a belt knife on the open beach (usually a small opinel in my pocket if I remember). Only if I could need to cut my way out of something. Better to have it than not. Don't wear a belt when on the beach unless I am wearing waders (colder months). Truck has everything in it. The one think I pretty much have on me regardless of when or how I am fishing is a pair of Manley pliers and a tape measure. Always two flash lights at night. Headlamp w/ red setting and pen light taped to surgical tubing as a necklace. 

Image result for cressi lima

How do you mount this knife on the belt?  I see on the back of the sheath that it has a clip that slides on to the belt.  Not secure as I'm sure the whole thing will slide off my belt.

I just use the clip. I move it frequently enough (belt to belt or to pocket or waders, etc.). I keep it clipped to a rack in my car where I keep extra pliers, scissors, and other gear like that and just take it when I think I may need it (on rocks usually). There is room behind the clip (the clip is held there by four screws). You could use two heavy duty zip ties and mount it horizontally with the clip. Or you could use the scuba line attachment that comes with it and one heavy duty zip tie and mount it vertically. I am sure there are other ways to Mcguyver it. Those are two I have considered. If you wanted it to be really low profile you could dremel off the clip where the clip meets the base and then mount with zip ties. That should lay flat on the belt. I might do that now that I think about it. Front of the belt by the buckle with the handle pointed toward my hand for easy access. You could probably also remove the clip and screws and then screw it right into the belt (may need longer screws). 

I also have a coiled lanyard so the knife and sheath don't become decoupled if I drop it. I have two of these. One for fishing and the other for picnics, etc. Nice easy small knife. 

They have multiple locking mechanisms on the sheath that I know of. The one in the picture you quoted slides (this one is less secure, but still good if you make sure it is locked). The other you have to press the knife into the sheath at a specific angle and then pull it out. Harder to access but more secure. I prefer the latter. Second is pictured below. The knives / sheaths are not interchangeable. 

Image result for cressi lima

39 mins ago, NMurray said:

For those that don't carry a knife, what do you use for cutting braid?

Fiskars scissors. The little blunt ones are great.

They hang on my lanyard on a silicone hairband.

5 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

Fiskars scissors. The little blunt ones are great.

They hang on my lanyard on a silicone hairband.

Silicone hairband- genius!

When freshwater bank fishing I use multiple rods. I usually just put the butt in the water bottle side holder of my back pack and then put a strap, that's attached to the bag, above the reel. Works well for fresh since I keep all my plugs and tackle in boxes. I've never tried on salt since I usually just carry my stuff on my belt. Might be worth a try if you're willing to carry a back pack and use rods under 8ft.