Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minivin5

Old Plug Cleaning....

12 posts in this topic

Cleaning an old plug.... how and what do you use?? I just got an awesome fathers day gift and want to know how to clean it without destroying it.

Since these are not made anymore should I just leave it be??

Thanks~ Vinny

I use mothers car wax - has a cleaner in it and has never hurt a plug. What ever you use be careful - I have taken old finishes off with soap and water - never use anything abrasive. What ever you do do it lightly.

bleach-liquid joy-tarn x-water ..mixed in a cup and put on with a soft tooth brush....rinse in cold water after..never hurt anything either...even when half the paint was gone to start with.

Vin

I have quite a few of Walter Krystocks baits & I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. It is very similiar to the original finish of the lures. Yours looks very good already.

Walter didnt use high gloss finishes on his baits.

A nice Fathers Day gift indeed!

Bob

I use goof off on all of my old plugs, it makes them look brand new but it must be applied carefully otherwise it can ruin the plug. I also wouldn't recommend using it on white lures.

-Vinny

Nice Conn Yankeebiggrin.gif

A old wise man told me to NEVER touch them! beatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gif

I have used Flitz (sp) before and it did a great job, and also removed some paint, so in the long run ... please don't touch them, 02$ any water base on a lure "may" do damage in years too come cwm15.gif

VB

ps.another collector told me he used a grinding wheel to remove rust from the hooks kooky.gif

View Postbleach-liquid joy-tarn x-water ..mixed in a cup and put on with a soft tooth brush....rinse in cold water after..never hurt anything either...even when half the paint was gone to start with.

CS,

You still got them wooden teeth does ya? cwm13.gif

View PostI use goof off on all of my old plugs, it makes them look brand new but it must be applied carefully otherwise it can ruin the plug. I also wouldn't recommend using it on white lures.

-Vinny

Goof Off sounds scary. I couldnt bring myself to do it.

Nice Musso scallop's.tongue.gif

View PostGoof Off sounds scary. I couldnt bring myself to do it.

Nice Musso scallop's.tongue.gif

Hey, I like to take chances biggrin.gif

Thanks! I have another one too, but it's been in the mouth of a few bass before smile.gif I'll put a picture up of it eventually; My camera died and I'm too lazy to replace the batteries.