Triumph vs. Surf King?

Rate this topic

Younghunter94

Its me again, im sure im bugging some with my threads, but the questons will stop soonbiggrin.gif ! I fell in love with Plugging and got tired of using a hand me down rod and reel, so im buying my own! My question, which is the better rod im looking at the 9 or 10 ft model for both....

I have used the triumph and like it, but i also like lami's freshwater stuff, the only thing that concerns me is the rating on the lami 5/8s - 2, i have some 3oz popper, would i be able to use them?

Thanks for all the help

CJ

Yes it is.

I have the 9' 1/2-2 oz. Sweet spot is 1 oz to 1.5 oz, it will do 2.5 oz safely and 3 oz if you're not trying to hit france with it. I have it paired with a spheros 5000 and for the money you just can't beat it.

I broke one while fishing, and St Croix replaced it quickly and no questions asked. I wasn't even the original owner, I bought it off another member here and had no receipts or registration cards. I don't think Lamiglas would do that.

Both rods are China made. IMO the Triumph is a better rod. Both use no-name guides, at least you get a fuji reel seat on the St. Croix. Lots of stories of broken surf kings if you search the forums. Lami's ratings are all over the place. St. Croix usually rates a little more accurately in my experience.

Surf Kings are junk and not worthy of the Lamiglas name.

Tsunamis and Ticas are much better "value" buys than a Surf King.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

They really have nothing to do with Lami other than Lami has them stick a sticker on them at the contract plant in China.

I think St. Croix has now moved the manufacturing of the Surf Kings to their own plant in Mexico now that I think about it. Have to check. I don't really feel any better about Mexico than China but maybe it matters to someone else.

View PostDoes anyone know if the Surf Kings are just assembled in China? Or are the blanks also made in China? I have a rod built on the ISU series and was just curious.

The blanks are made for Lamiglas in China, as far as I know. They also have the cheapest aluminum oxide guides--even if they are Fujis. Ticas and Tsunamis come with better Hardaloy guides. Or, at least the Tica Dolphin does.

I haven't looked very closely at Triumphs. For the difference in price, you'd be better off spending a little more for the 9' Mojo IMO.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver