Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omahundro

Tightening drag makes it harder to reel?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Is this common on spinning reels? The other day I had a massive sturgeon take a blistering run on me, and I kept tightening down my drag. He popped my split ring (was fishing with salmon gear) and as I was reeling back in, I noticed it was difficult to turn the crank. Backing off on the drag made it go away.

Problem? Normal?

Questioning my purchase of this new reel now... I don't recall this happening on my old Penn 950 SSM.

Interesting. Never heard of this on spinning reels. It's perfectly normal on leverdrag conventionals. But on a spinning reel? headscratch.gif What model reel is it? Maybe someone with experience with that same reel will chime in.

I don't see how this is possible. The only physical link between the drag and the gearbox is the shaft, but it only oscillates moving the spool up and down - there shouldn't be any way that compressing the drag washers can inhibit either this motion or any of the gearing. The only thing I can think of is if somehow a very high drag setting is somehow physically distorting the shape of the spool, causing it to make contact with the rotor and the resistance you were feeling was the friction of the two rubbing against each other, but this doesn't seem likely either.

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but I had a similar issue with my spinning reel (Penn 650SS) after hooking into a big striper last fall. Took it in for service, and the gears got stripped and had to be replaced. You may want to have the gears checked.

If the spool is not seated properly on the shaft this could happen. Sometimes you need to get it lined up just right and kind of pop the spool down into the proper position.

MDM,

Thanks, that actually seemed to clear it up. I took off the spool, reseated it, and fully tightened down the drag. Crank turned without resistance. I'm thinking I may not have seated the spool exactly right when I put in an adjustment washer.

View PostMDM,

Thanks, that actually seemed to clear it up. I took off the spool, reseated it, and fully tightened down the drag. Crank turned without resistance. I'm thinking I may not have seated the spool exactly right when I put in an adjustment washer.

Glad to help.smile.gif