roverback65

Gearing up for vacation on the Cape

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

My plan is to bring along the following:

9' Triumph travel rod (1/2 - 2 1/2 ozs) with an ssg 550 30lb PP

8' Tsunami Airwave (5/8 - 3 oz's) with a Stradic FI 5000 30lb PP

7' Tidemaster (3/4 - 2 oz's) with a Slammer 360 20lb PP

I plan on fishing the shore on both the bay and ocean side and the occassional jetty. I am going to also bring a selection of Kastmasters, Bomber's, Robert's, Deadly Dick's, Storm Shads and Bucktails. The heaviest lures run up to 2 oz's with most 1-1 1/2 oz's.

My concern is if my tackle is a bit too light for what I will be throwing. I plan on using the same on the 8' as the 9'. I have heard mixed reviews on the actual lure rating of the Airwave. Should I invest in a heavier surf rod? In addition, space for traveling is somewhat limited and I am wondering if I can get away bringing just one of the Tsunami or St Croix. I would appreciate any thoughts on if I am set-up properly for my trip or if I need to make some adjustments. Thanks in advance.

I think you're set up good enough. A 10 ft' rod couldn't hurt with some more backbone but you'll be fine. If space is limited I would lose the 7' before the other two. I'd throw a pencil popper and needle into the mix as well. Good luck.

Ice

Yup, you don't need the 7 footer. The other two will do everything you need. Do you have a bait rod? Might be good if you need it.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a few pencil poppers that I will bring. I love the Tidemaster but it will be the odd man out on this trip I believe.

Regarding a bait rod, I am at a bit of a loss. I have had a more difficult selecting the "right" one(s) than any other rig I have. I use to have an old beater 9' Shakespeare for bridges,piers and jettys and the surf. It was a bit big and clunky.

I realize that I may need different rods for bait in the surf and perhaps a smaller one for the other locations. the question I wrestle with is finding a 2-piece or travel rod rated highly enough where i don't stress like I did the 1-4 oz Shakespeare. I don't mind spending good money on the surf rod but the bridge/pier rod will get chewed up. Thanks