Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NS Mike D

Not In My State

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Blanche Lincoln is pushing hard to raise the exemption for the new capital requirements for banks from $10 billion to $15 billion

There is only one bank in her state that would fall in that group (and only 20 in the country) Arvest Bank, which is owned by the Walton (walmart) family.

Good to see the rich use their influence again to exempt themselves from rules that apply to others.

that is why I am for term limits and campaign finance reform , including the belief that the first amendment does not give a corporation the freedom to use large sums if money to influence campaigns and politicians

That is still why I am a libertarian. if you give up the power to abuse you will get exactly what you asked for.

The problem is not the abuse of power, its the power to abuse.

Limit the power of congresscreeps to manipulate private businesses.

Cause the way to keep congress people from frooking around with people is quite simply to not let them do it.

Blanche should go back and read Reg Q as well as all the numbskulls that thought Glass-Steagall was the magna-carta.

As much as I hate Bloomber magazine, great article in there on regulatory process and unforseen consequences.

bank runs are bad and contagious and can take out a healthy bank in a second

too big to fail on the other hand makes banks not look closely at their counterparties's (i.e. other banks) balance sheet as the presume the gov't will step in and cover their exposure.

capital reserves are good, mark to market disclosure is good but mark to maket capital requirements are bad as they force banks to sell otherwise good assets in bad markets thus removing economic sense for the equation.

FDIC is good. It stablizes things for the consumer and provides confidence that basic money will be safe.

siezing banks is good and ability to sieze investment firms are good - it gives the gov't the ability to sell and liquidate an insolvent financial firm in an orderly fashion thus preventing a run on the bank, and letting a firm file for bankruptcy (as in Lehman and the ripple effect that resulted).