Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snooking80

Most important bearings on a spinning reel?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I just purchased a Daiwa Bradia which comes with 7+1 bearings and I am in the process of upgrading a couple of its plastic bushings (line roller and spool collar) for stainless steel ball bearings. Believe it or not this $350 Made in Japan reel does not come with a line roller bearing. Unbelievable.

I know most manufactures use ABEC 1-3 rated bearings on their reels and I want to go up to ABEC 5 or 7 but I really do not want to spend a lot of money on a high quality bearing only to find out it would not make that much difference in an specific location.

Here's my question I know that in a conventional or casting reel the spool bearings are the ones that really make a difference but what do you think are the 2-4 most important and needed bearings on a spinning reel and in what order.

Thank you for your time.

My guess from a mechanical standpoint would be the 2 on the main gear plus the one on the pinion. Those determine how smooth the reeling is, anything more than that (spool/drag, line roller, oscillation gear) seem to be more of a luxury wink.gif

View PostHi, I just purchased a Daiwa Bradia which comes with 7+1 bearings and I am in the process of upgrading a couple of its plastic bushings (line roller and spool collar) for stainless steel ball bearings. Believe it or not this $350 Made in Japan reel does not come with a line roller bearing. Unbelievable.

I know most manufactures use ABEC 1-3 rated bearings on their reels and I want to go up to ABEC 5 or 7 but I really do not want to spend a lot of money on a high quality bearing only to find out it would not make that much difference in an specific location.

Here's my question I know that in a conventional or casting reel the spool bearings are the ones that really make a difference but what do you think are the 2-4 most important and needed bearings on a spinning reel and in what order.

Thank you for your time.

I like reels that have a smooth feel.

On a spinning reel I like a ball bearing on each side of the drive gear shaft.

Add a ball bearing to the pinion shaft/pinion gear; that's smooth enough for me.

While spinning, yes, but when fighting the fish situation is changing ... becoming important bearing in line roller ,ball bearing in the spool , one way bearing ,and of course two bearing on the pinion.That is most stressed point on the spinning reel in the moment of fighting .kooky.gif

Bearings on a spinning reel do nothing to make the reel a better caster. It's a fixed spool--it doesn't turn on the cast--unless your drag slips--and that's not a good thing wink.gif

The most imprtant bearing on a spinning reel is the one that supports the main shaft--some of the most durable spinning reels ever built--the Luxor/Crack and the Penn 704--only had that one bearing.

Next are the line roller bearing and any that support the main gear. A one-way anti-reverse bearing is important to eliminate gear back-slap if you use braid.

Anything beyond that is icing on the cake, and not critical to longievity. The quality of the metals used in the gears go much further in determining how long a reel will last. They make a reel smoother to turn. Bearings in the drag? The Van Staals have them, but the older Penn style drags were fine. And top end reels like the Saltiga don't have them.

Daiwa replaced the roller ball-bearing to plastic bushing due to problems with saltwater - This problems concerned many high-price Daiwas.

I recommend to replace the plastic bushing in the roller only with "high" tolerance Bearing like ABEC 1-3, if you replace it with a ABEC 5-7 bearing, it is more likely that you get problems with salt-crystals in the Bearing.

The Bradia is an outstanding reel in its priceclass - In my opinion much more solid and smoother than the equal priced Stradic FI. (i own both)

Even the Certate doesnt run distinctly smoother, so let the Bradia be Bradia and enjoy the nice reel. wink.gif

Best Regards from Germany

PS: Sorry for my bad english. frown.gif

Thank you for all of the different opinions.

I think I really need to replace the line roller bushing with a ball bearing because it will definitely help with line twist specially with braid and that's what I use. I will go with inexpensive ABEC 3 bearings which are the same ones most reels use anyways and since I will be getting a 10 pack I will have plenty replacements for many fishing seasons to come.

The spool/drag collar I will replace with a ball bearing too but not until I find a great deal on one because I think this bearing is not going to impact the reel in a positive way or at least not in one that will be highly noticeable.