Meat Thermometers

Rate this topic

So, i'm home for the next few weeks recovering from some hernia surgery & plan on doing alot of smoking/grilling. I'm sick of second guessing myself with meat on the smoker & want to get a QUALITY instant read meat thermometer.

I've already had a bunch of analog ones & the digital Pyrex one (which crapped out after a months worth of use)... anyone have any they really dig?

fearisyouronlygod.

Those fancy instant read digital pens are nice, but not cheap. And surely I would leave mine out in the rain by the smoker or grill and ruin it redface.gif .

I have a battery operated jobby with the probe and timer that I find very useful for beer brewing where temp and time are critical. $20 at any of the home stores.

But for cooking alone give me an analog instant read like Fish4ever says. Look what all the chefs use! There's a reason wink.gif . They are cheap enough to have several. I try to calibrate mine every few months.

Good luck!

Alan

View PostThermapen

+1

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View PostI'm a food service manager and use mine 150-200 times per day. I only use the analog ones as I can calabrate it myself and there cheap, icon14.gif $5.00 or so. Happy smoking!beers.gif

Exactly. I got 3 or 4 of them laying around here. All you really need.

Guys, first off, that therm on the cover of your smoker most likely isn't very accurate. And we all know that when smoking a constant 225 or so is the ideal temp we are trying to maintain. That being said, go look at a Maverick ET-73. It's a dual probe, one for meat, one for heat, and it's wireless, with dual alarms. A very neat tool.

I think the Thermapen is the one i've been looking @ but never knew the name. Im going to look into the Maverick too as that looks pretty cool. Being out of work, im probably going to have to wait just a little bit to get a nicer digital.

In the meantime, any suggestions on how to calibrate an analog? Mine doesn't look like you can adjust it in any way? confused.gif

fearisyouronlygod.

View PostI think the Thermapen is the one i've been looking @ but never knew the name. Im going to look into the Maverick too as that looks pretty cool. Being out of work, im probably going to have to wait just a little bit to get a nicer digital.

In the meantime, any suggestions on how to calibrate an analog? Mine doesn't look like you can adjust it in any way? confused.gif

Under the Dial there should be a nut, above the probe. Put the probe in a glass of ice & water. When it bottoms out, adjust the dial to read 34o(turn the dial while holding the nut with pliers) Hope this helps

HOME OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE....THANK A VET

View PostUnder the Dial there should be a nut, above the probe. Put the probe in a glass of ice & water. When it bottoms out, adjust the dial to read 34o(turn the dial while holding the nut with pliers) Hope this helps

Thx icon14.gif I gotta see if mine has the nut you're talking about. confused.gif

fearisyouronlygod.