Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
richie609

Going lite

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

My go to rod is a st.crox trumiph 7ft w/ penn sargus 400 #12 braided,casts great.have a 10ft an 9ft for the fall run an when i go out to montauk,anyone else going lite spin?

My go to spinning rod/reel combos are:

G. Loomis Greenwater 7'6" 6-12lb matched with a Shimano Stradic 3000FI spooled with 10lb Fireline Crystal Braid.

Kistler Helium II LTX 6'9" 10-17lb matched with a Daiwa Bradia 3000 spooled with 20lb Sufix Braid.

I've landed everything from hard fighting fish like Jack Cravalle, Snook, and 4' Barracuda to 3' Stingrays without a problem with the Stradic 3000FI and I've even hooked 50lb Tarpon twice but both times they broke the 20lb fluorocarbon leader after a 30-50 yard run.

Every one tries this once in a life time.

I can remember my buddy using a fresh water bait casting rod with a Penn 930 and ten pound test pink Andee mono line and a black back Rebel.

After about 55 minutes he let a 55pounder go.

Someone (well known) went nuts.

Still kinda funny.After everyone catching large i told this person that we bring a new guy just to see how long it takes for him to pee his pants.

Needless to say that was back in the 80,s ,Nine casts,nine big fish. big.

Today for the most part the fish run a little bit smaller but so what,still beter than washing dishes

Not likely going to be much camaraderie on here as alot of folks tend to fish areas where only larger gear will do the job and they fail to realize that the world isn't their backyard.

This season I started using a St. Croix Triumph 8 footer paired with a Penn 710 with 20# braid. None of my plugs or bucktails were over 1.5 ounces.

All but one of my ten footers are going to be sold; shy of a Noreaster or visiting Montauk or some other place there just isn't a situation where I need that sort of artillery.

I always found it curious that I got strikes MUCH closer to shore than you'd expect. I work my tail off to fire out something and in the last 1/4 of it is where I get the most strikes. I'd rather have something I can snap-cast and is balanced well and can cast for hours on end.

View PostNot likely going to be much camaraderie on here as alot of folks tend to fish areas where only larger gear will do the job and they fail to realize that the world isn't their backyard.

This season I started using a St. Croix Triumph 8 footer paired with a Penn 710 with 20# braid. None of my plugs or bucktails were over 1.5 ounces.

All but one of my ten footers are going to be sold; shy of a Noreaster or visiting Montauk or some other place there just isn't a situation where I need that sort of artillery.

I always found it curious that I got strikes MUCH closer to shore than you'd expect. I work my tail off to fire out something and in the last 1/4 of it is where I get the most strikes. I'd rather have something I can snap-cast and is balanced well and can cast for hours on end.

My thoughts exactly.

Growing up and learning to fish in the 80's it was easy to be convinced that if you fished the surf you had to have big gear to do it.

The 10-12 foot 1 piece honey lami's and other monster fiberglass rods looked cool on my dad and granddad's trucks but man they wear you out fast.

I bought into the myth and all my early gear was BIG...but bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. And now most of that stuff has been sold or is collecting dust on the rack.

With advances in technology today's smaller rods and reels are more than able to hold their own in any situation, be it the ditch, or Montauk.

My only advice would be that if you are going to make your go to set up a lite one (my definition of lite is a rod below 9 ft, and a reel that is sub 18 oz), make sure you invest in quality gear...that doesn't mean it needs to be top shelf but make sure it's not a entry level rod/reel.

I've fished a 4000 Sargus, its a nice little reel, but I do not think I would want to break that setup out at Montauk, Wasque, The Ditch or any other serious spot where you're dealing with a lot of other fishermen and lots of current.

Even in the hands of a skilled angler playing a decent sized fish on that set up is going to take time and space. If you hook into a fish, disrupt a lot of guys working the fish in and are not able to land it you can expect a lot of flack.

It's a courtesy thing.

View PostMy go to rod is a st.crox trumiph 7ft w/ penn sargus 400 #12 braided,casts great.have a 10ft an 9ft for the fall run an when i go out to montauk,anyone else going lite spin?

No, I like to land my fish as quickly as I can, release them as healthy as I can, and be prepared to handle a big fish in heavy current. Light gear for bass is like hunting deer with a 22 - you can do it but you're only making things artificially difficult and putting the animal through more pain than you have to.

It really depends on where you are fishing. I like my 8' tsnumami with a 5000fi stradic, 14# braid...but will I fish that at the canal or wasque. no. If there's little current (this is key) and I feel like taking the light rod, or the fish have been small...no biggie, released 20 pounders easily, and quickly...

But if the weather is rough, and/or there's current, or i'm tossing large plugs- the 10.5 comes out with a vs. No question (now that I have that setup).

Release them safely and quickly...

View PostNo, I like to land my fish as quickly as I can, release them as healthy as I can, and be prepared to handle a big fish in heavy current. Light gear for bass is like hunting deer with a 22 - you can do it but you're only making things artificially difficult and putting the animal through more pain than you have to.

Really?

So why aren't you up in arms over the guys that catch on the fly rod?

You've fished the same conditions this guy has? You've seen how he handles the fight and works the fish?

This is exactly the sort of regional bull-hockey I'm talking about. You guys think that the only tools that will get the job done are the ones that you yourselves need and use.

The world is not Montauk, or Shag, or Watch Hill, or the Canal or Gloucester. There are a thousand little points in between where you need to evaluate the conditions and make your decision on what to use. And bagging on the locals because they get the job done with tools that you yourself don't use but do so with the same attention to preserving the fish is an ignorant and arrogant mindset.

My sig exists for a reason. I spent two seasons listening to chuckleheads preaching some pseudo-machismo about big rods and heavy plugs and braid that will stop a Buick. Sure, that may have to happen at some places for success.

But not here from my experiences.

I find, catch, and release successfully regularly using lighter gear; 8 foot rods, 1.5 oz. plugs, 20# braid and fly rods, and I've found much more success with it than the Godzilla-stopping rigs that you claim are the bare minimum for getting the job done.

So please, until you've fished our shores, try not to tell us what works and doesn't. You're only embarassing yourself.

biggrin.gif Hey never ment to stir up the masses with my question of lite tackle,my go to rod is small to keep in my jeep when im drivin around an if i see a spot to fish its what i have .when im out at the point an during the fall fun its my 9ft or 10ft w/ penn 704 -706.long time fisherman of long island.bad day of fishing beats anything!!!

View PostYou've fished the same conditions this guy has? You've seen how he handles the fight and works the fish?

Uhhh.....I think you should re-read the question, it was....

View Post...anyone else going lite spin?

...and my answer was no, for the reasons I stated. My analogy only referred to "light" gear, i.e. gear lighter than what is generally used in a particular set of conditions - could be 20# line in the canal or 4# line in a back bay - the point is that undergunning yourself doesn't do you or the fish any favors.

View PostThis is exactly the sort of regional bull-hockey I'm talking about. You guys think that the only tools that will get the job done are the ones that you yourselves need and use.

Not at all. Once again, read the question - it asked specifically what we're doing, not for opinions on what he's doing.

View Post...the Godzilla-stopping rigs that you claim are the bare minimum for getting the job done.

So please, until you've fished our shores, try not to tell us what works and doesn't. You're only embarassing yourself.

I'm embarrassing myself? You're the one that just assigned a whole pile of opinions to me that I never expressed. Claiming Godzilla-stopping rigs are the bare minimum for getting the job done, telling you what works and what doesn't? Where are you coming up with this stuff? The OP asked if anyone else was going light spin and you somehow twist my answer that I wasn't into some sort of sweeping condemnation of any fishing style other than my own.