Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stillsearchin

Braid On Old Reels???

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Great forum you have here. You guys seem very knowledgeable and I was referred here from another forum.

I have several old Penn Green Spinning reels. Size 710's and 712's from the 1970's I think. I was going to put braid on a couple of them and was advised by the tackle shop that braid would cause damage to the line rollers on those reels. Curious to know what you guys think. Thanks for any advice you might have.

View PostGreat forum you have here. You guys seem very knowledgeable and I was referred here from another forum.

I have several old Penn Green Spinning reels. Size 710's and 712's from the 1970's I think. I was going to put braid on a couple of them and was advised by the tackle shop that braid would cause damage to the line rollers on those reels. Curious to know what you guys think. Thanks for any advice you might have.

I don't know why he would say that, the greenie 710 and 712's came with carbaloid line rollers (kind of gray in color) you can't beat them rollers when it comes to braid in fact the old wire trolling rods had carbaloid guids on them plus I use carbaloid tip top guids on my rods that I use braid on. It just don't cut into carbaloid. I been told braid gets caught under the drag knobs on these reels but I been fishing braid on mine for some time (both 710/712) and it never happen to me.headscratch.gif