Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockfishfinder

calicos

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I was reading about fishing calico crabs and i know its kind of an out dated way of surf fishing, but i picked up a rake at fishermens headquarters. Then i went to the beach and i started to rake and i thought it was pretty easy because i got a crab on almost every try, but when it came down to fishing them I didnt even get a bite. I did everything people told me to do. I rigged it with the thread and the fish finder style but not one bite. What am I doin wrong???? Is it still to early in the season to fish with them????

Fisherman's headquarters is on LBI in NJ.

It's not just as easy as raking a few crabs and putting them on a hook.

There are much fewer resident fish in NJ "now a days". They have been over fished.

You have to put your baits in areas with structure that will hold the resident fish.

Do a search. There were a coujple of good threads recently on Calicos. One has good info on IDing the peelers. Peelers and softies are much more effective, but you've got to rake a lot of crabs to cull a few of them. Fishing Calicos isn't a lay-up--It's hard work.

Crabs are to Stripers what ice cream is to people ! But DON'T expect to get a Striper every time you are using them. To use an old expression " They're there, they're there". Stay focused and you will be successful!!