Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adam-_888

Pencil Popping Conventional

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I love using my conventional for pencil poppers! 1084 Lami with an Abu 6500 Big Game....I prefer mono as it gives me a better feel for the plugs! Just a preference! wink.gif You can get much better action out of a pencil in my opinion with conventional and playing a fish with conventional is alot more fun in my opinion!

I still have not gotten the motion down with rt hand crank conventionals... so I have been using 6501s and that works better. But, I will keep practicing. I think it must be very hard to get the same action as I do with a spinning set-up. However, I do get a nice side side slap with conventional but the rhythm is slower and the action is more deliberate. Definitely still need levelwind.

No fun with a thumbleveler. You can do it, but not for long. That's why I carry two reels.wink.gif

View PostNo fun with a thumbleveler. You can do it, but not for long. That's why I carry two reels.wink.gif

Exactly---I did it for years. But there's no reason for it anymore.

Braid and mega-spinners are where it's at for pencil popping. And unless you're getting wet, you don't even need a mega-spinner--a $150 Emblem Pro will smoke any conventional for distance, and the drag is first rate. You can probably get 20 pounds of drag from it, but most people will never need that.

Istill like playing with the real reels. Had a newell out last night and had a ball. More fun than washing dishes.

I,m not an expert,i,m just old and what i do is press the line against the cross bar with my thumb as i bring in line and level it at the same time.

Since the line is (about)in the middle of my thumb while retrieving line i have found that the spool flanges(width)play a big part in a smooth spool especially in the dark.

With the line packed between my thumb and the spool then it doesn't matter how much action i put into the plug.

Hope this helps and doesn't mess you up.

You can fish anything with conventional.Levelwinds make plugging much easier, but my Penn 525 gets used for plugging fairly often too.Gear ratios become important when plugging conventional for the different retrieves. And few if any spinners weighs 10-14ozs and have decent surfcasting line capacity.

View PostExactly---I did it for years. But there's no reason for it anymore.

Braid and mega-spinners are where it's at for pencil popping. And unless you're getting wet, you don't even need a mega-spinner--a $150 Emblem Pro will smoke any conventional for distance, and the drag is first rate. You can probably get 20 pounds of drag from it, but most people will never need that.

Ditch, much as I respect your opinion I also politely disagree. "smoke any conventional" is a reach at best. I make no bones about it when I say I've a preference for conventional but I own, and would use the Emblem Pro side by side with a decent 6500 series. Now I gotta qualify that by saying I got big mitts so I prefer the 7000's generally but for raw distance I'll have to stand by the old round reels.

Let me add one other thought. It's rarely about pure distance. The ability to thumb down that heaver and put that plug just where I want it...you been there. Stripers are not Largemouth and I admit growing up with accuracy being a priority. That said, even ripping off a cast without feathering into the boil can put the action down pretty quick.

Random ramblings,

Dutch

View PostDitch, much as I respect your opinion I also politely disagree. "smoke any conventional" is a reach at best. I make no bones about it when I say I've a preference for conventional but I own, and would use the Emblem Pro side by side with a decent 6500 series. Now I gotta qualify that by saying I got big mitts so I prefer the 7000's generally but for raw distance I'll have to stand by the old round reels.

Let me add one other thought. It's rarely about pure distance. The ability to thumb down that heaver and put that plug just where I want it...you been there. Stripers are not Largemouth and I admit growing up with accuracy being a priority. That said, even ripping off a cast without feathering into the boil can put the action down pretty quick.

Random ramblings,

Dutch

You can feather with your forefinger as easily as you can with your thumb--all it takes is practice wink.gif

I've been there, and done that--both ways. 15 years ago 95% of the Canal regulars were using conventionals for plugging--where distance and accuracy are equally important.

Today, those same 95% have switched over to big spinners with braid.

There's a method to our madness. And good reasons for what we do. wink.gif

People had the same resistance to the low rider concept guides at first---it's counter-intuitive to what we were all taught as noobs. But seeing and testing is believing.