Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbustin23

Monster stingray off North Wildwood

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Friday at 830 hooked up with a 4.5 ft stingray i would say atleast 70 lbs it took me 45 mins to bring to shore.. does anyone know if this is a common fish i mean ive caught plenty of skates but never a monster stingray

That is a butterfly ray...not a true stingray.

Years ago I was freediving and swam down to check out what I thought was the edge of a fluke buried in the sand. It turns out I was hovering about 6" about a huge butterfly ray, probably 6 feet across...it took off and looked like the bottom of the ocean was coming alive. I nearly crapped myself.

Luckily they don't have much of a stinger...I think it is small.

They are not uncommon in NJ, it's just that they are rarely encountered. I've only seen one other out there. They show up in summer when the water warms up. That is cool..must have fought like hell.

You can catch these in NJ...I've seen them all down there.

Atlantic Stingray

Southern Stingray

Cow nose ray

Spotted Eagle Ray

Butterfly Ray

View PostYou can catch these in NJ...I've seen them all down there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=371702

^^That one looks like the fish version of the moths I see on my shed smile.gif

Nice catch - anything that flat and 70# is gonna stretch the wrinkles outta your line icon14.gif

TimS

south jersey there are lots and lots of stingrays this time of year through september. In north jersey, they are around, but not in huge numbers. One more stingray that lives around here in addition to the list is the Roughtail Stingray, which I've seen up to around 250 Lbs. If you hooked one you'd never get the thing in.

I was snorkeling in Kona, Hawaii a couple months ago about two hundred yards off the beach. I was checking out some turtles, various fish etc and was just really enjoying myself. about a half an hour into it I saw what I thought was turtle flippers breaking the surface a ways off. I swam over to investigate and they turned out to be manta rays. The biggest one was probably fifteen feet across. They were swimming around in circles and figure 8's with their mouths wide open, turning on a dime. I saw one slowly swimming about ten feet below me so I took a breath, swam down and was able to "pet" it for ten seconds or so. They stuck around for maybe twenty minutes then swam off. it blew away anything I have ever experienced while fishing. I wish I had a camera...the image of those animals swimming towards me with their mouths open while be burned in my mind forever.smile.gif

View Postlanded a butterfly ray about that size last spring in LBI... they're around...

My brother and I hooked into a handful of them off Holgate last year, they are huge, they probably dont have a clue they are hooked either. The screaming drag however is a nice tune.