Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yougster

Fireline

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Should I put backing on the reel then the fireline and then a swivel with a topshot of mono? Just like braid? also what pound should i be using. its for ns of long island and i am using a 704z.

View PostShould I put backing on the reel then the fireline and then a swivel with a topshot of mono? Just like braid? also what pound should i be using. its for ns of long island and i am using a 704z.

Mono under to cover the spool so it won't slip. Then 30lb Fireline. I don't use a swivel. I tie the Fireline to 3-4' of 50lb mono or fluoro. I use an Alberto or an overhand to uni or a uni to uni.

If you use 30 then it should be for the abrasion resistance because 20 and 30 pound fireline break at nearly the same pound test at 54.5 pounds on average for both.Fireline breaks at nearly triple the stated rating across all pound test so even in the super light ratings its proven to me that it has more than enough strength for any fish your likely to encounter.The only question is how much abrasion resistance you need.I use 10 and 14 pound and i have yet to have it fail on big bull redfish and very large rays (and they will fight you to the death).I need maximum casting distance where i fish and dont need much abrasion resistance so it works great for me and i have found it to be super manageable with no knot problems ,no digging in and i have yet to cut myself just tighten down that drag before you cast.Good luck

View PostShould I put backing on the reel then the fireline

Only if you need to fill a significant portion of the spool in order to have to 300 yards of Fireline come close to the spool lip, otherwise you should only use a few turns of tape to prevent it from slipping.

View Post...and then a swivel with a topshot of mono?

A topshot, no. A leader 3-5 feet long that doesn't enter the guides, yes. You can attach it to the fireline with either a small swivel like a Spro or with an Alberto knot.

View Post...also what pound should i be using. its for ns of long island and i am using a 704z.

Some people will use 20# fireline on that reel, but I think it handles 30# much better, although the stiffness will cut down on casting distance a little - might be a concern, might not. 50# powerpro also works well on that reel.

My best success with a 704z has been ~25yds of 20lb mono backing, followed by enough 20 lb fireline to take it within 1/8" of the spool lip, then normal spro/leader setup.

I like 20lb better than 30, to each his own smile.gif.

Spool about 10-20 yards of mono onto it to cover the spool arbor--then 300 yards of 20# Fireline will fit perfectly.

Fireline is much more forgiving than spun braid. Little more spool memory so it coils tighter. I've never hand any windknot problems with Fireline on any reel.

There's a big difference in diameter between 20# and 30# Fireline, and not that much difference in strength. Try 20 first and if it causes you headaches, them move up to 30. If you can't fish 30 without tangles, you should probably stick to mono for now.

ain't for everyone. On your rig I'd use a full wrap of tape to stop slippage. Normally I use 12 to 17 lb mono backing. I'v experimented with all test's of Fireline. I prefer 20 lb test as It'll handle just about any fish I target, mainly Strper and I've had no problems with 'Muscle Heads' AKA Bluefish, even the larger strain. Word of caution, Fireline has many advantages over other braids, it's tuff stuff that can and will bite you if your not careful handling it. Tight lines.icon14.gif