Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mainiac

Frustrating

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Last couple of times I've been out, a sparsely tied 2-3" black teaser fly has gotten almost all of the action on fish to 35" or so. Also, the action has died off 30-45 minutes before sunrise, so get out there in the dark, or stay in bed! The smaller fish are still there in the daylight, but they usually won't hit anything.

If you fish teasers, be sure you use a strong hook. Teasers have to deal with a lot more pressure than a fly fished on a 9 or 10 wt. I had a standard 2/0 stainless fly hook snapped in half by a nice fish last night. I tied up some new teasers on owner aki hooks - hopefully they will hold up better!

Two lights kid,

Have you tried fishing the fly your using as a teaser solo - on a fly rod - or in a brace on a fly rod?

Just a bucktail in black or something covert smile.gif

Thanks for the education smile.gif

Fish the ledges this morning.Perfect condition,dark and foggy with a decent swell to attract the stripers.They were there,they would roll at the fly almost like a salmon will.Just givin' me the fin !biggrin.gif

I haven't tried a flyrod in a long time. I'm not too comfortable fly casting in the dark, and I can't seem to find anything that wants to bite in daylight. No reason it wouldn't work on a flyrod though, probably would be even better.

No secret on the fly I'm using: just a bit of black bucktail and some green flash, total length about 3". I also like to add some small eyes - not sure if that really matters, but it works for me. My hook of choice lately has been an owner aki size 4/0-6/0, a bit pricey, but it's very sharp and strong enough to stand up to high drag settings and double headers of nice sized stripers.

DSCF0318.JPG

I also tried putting an eel skin over my favorite needle last night, and I got some nice fish on that when they didn't seem to be interested in anything else. The plug is frozen so you can't tell from the pic, but the skin trails about 4" behind the plug, and has an awesome wiggle with the slightest movement.

DSCF0319.JPG

Here's my rig:

1. Cut 2 pieces for 50 lb fluorocarbon - one 6' long and one 18" long

2. With the 18" piece, tie the teaser to one end with a 4-turn uni knot and a double surgeon's loop in the other end.

3. Tie your favorite snap to one end of the 6' piece with a 4-turn uni knot, and tie the other end to your main line with a double uni knot.

4. About 1' below the double uni knot, tie a 3" dropper loop and loop on the teaser leader.

5. Snap on your lure of choice and have at it!

Be sure to put on a pair of gloves to avoid cutting your hands and make sure all knots are cinched as tight as possible

The final rig comes out about 5' long, and can take some practice to cast, but I've found that it's well worth the trouble.