Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bubba97

Fluke on the fly ?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I have had several fluke on sandeels, clousers, and basically any thing presented right in front of there face. I try to fish the edges of sand bars on an out going tide. Sometimes they sit on the edge and pick at the bait as it gets swept out. I will usually cast onto the bar and let the current take the fly. A dead drift will also produce. I haven't specifically targetted them in a few years but I catch them sometimes as bycatch. I would stick to 3 to 8 feet. It is possibly to get them in 20+ feet but it's more of a hassle and not as fun. I remember my first fluke on the fly. While dead drifting off a bar my line came tight and when I lifted it was dead weight. I thought I was stuck. Then it slowly started to move. A couple tugs then more dead weight. When you hook a fluke it is very distinctive. Hope this helps, good luck.

Strangely enough, I've found fluke to have a real preference for red over white flies - like 1/2 & 1/2's or clousers - red bucktail over white bucktail, some silver crystal flash and peacock herl topping. Don't worry about going slow, if your fly is near the bottom, don't be afraid of moving it too fast - they are incredibly aggressive.

TimS

"linespeed" a member here caught the all fly tippet record fluke a few years back, he didnt want to deal with applying to IGFA so he's not in the record books, but he does have pics and it's a serious doormat

View Post"linespeed" a member here caught the all fly tippet record fluke a few years back, he didnt want to deal with applying to IGFA so he's not in the record books, but he does have pics and it's a serious doormat

They don't make an "all tippet" category, each one is listed...I'm guessing it was a big fella on 20# tippet, would love to see the pictures icon14.gif

TimS

Everything Flyman posted is spot on. I work sandbars and either dead stick it or drag my fly up the drop off and back onto the bar. Floating line works best for me as I am fishing in no more than 10 ft of water. Crabs, shrimp, clousers, and halfnhalfs always produce. A very slow retrieve works best. I would avoid the sinking line in shallow water unless you like bringing in horseshoe crabs and spider crabs every cast.