Plugs that don't hook themselves!

Rate this topic

bunkerchunker

Anyone frustrated when their perfect cast ends up with the trebles hooking themselves, it's own line or the lip of the lure, and as a result ruining your cast and retreive??

To me, this is the difference between a cr*ppy lure and a well made one.

One issue is that on the cast, when the plug hits the water, the line slacks and can be suseptable to the front hook looping the line....other than that. have manufactorers ever thought.......HEY! lets keep the hooks a safe distance away from each other!!cwm40.gif

Here fishy fishy fishy!

No plug should be built with 2 hooks close enough to hook onto each other. As far as the line fouling on the hooks, there are some things you can do to minimize it, although some plugs are just prone to it.

Here's a good recent discussion on it:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=734878

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

One of my favorite surface swimmers does this on almost every cast. The big Tatoo has 2 trebles that are way too close to each other. Simple fix was to remove the rear treble and replace the tail-hair with a 6/0 siwash. No more tangles.

U.S. Marines: No better friend, no worse enemy.

It has more to do with your casting style, how much power your using, the rod, reel, line & leader you are using.

Bombers spin and tumble on my bigger, stiffer rods but I can cast them all day on my 1083 with no problems at all and get better distance out of a light cast than putting all my power into it. Hook choice, size, split rings or cut hooks, ect....

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

Just deal with it...it will eventually happen no matter what plug you are throwing, how 'well it was made' or how much you paid for it. Some plugs are more likely to have this happen, like metal-lips, it's just the nature of the beast.

Sometimes the front hook being too large adds to the issue making it more likely to foul.

any one notice this still with crushed barbs?

Was thinking about it and crushing the barbs could allow for the hook to slide off if its given slack rather than catching the section...

I guess its a fact of life, but EB thanks for the suggestions, thats sort of what i was thinking, keep control of your line as it hits the water, don't reel right away, don't rip your cast, be more graceful, etc..

thanks all

Here fishy fishy fishy!

any one notice this still with crushed barbs?

Was thinking about it and crushing the barbs could allow for the hook to slide off if its given slack rather than catching the section...

I guess its a fact of life, but EB thanks for the suggestions, thats sort of what i was thinking, keep control of your line as it hits the water, don't reel right away, don't rip your cast, be more graceful, etc..

thanks all[/quotes]

Also, you can weigh some plugs in the tail so that they fly straighter which leads to further casts.

(*member formerly known as 'JohnB.')

EB Harvy has the same suggestions I would make on the linked thread.

Fingering the line at the end of a cast and letting it sit for a second are the two biggest aids to correcting the line getting caught on the hooks. It also gives a stunned look to a bait that just made some noise on touchdown. Ever have your lure hit or missed as soon as it hit the water?

I was never a fan of split rings and don't put them on many of my plugs (especially smaller stuff), but they have their place. Big fish have big jaws and need to be able to get stuck on a hook. Sometimes removing the split ring (especially on VMC hooks) will make it hard to get a good hook in a fish.

I agree that hooks should not get caught on each other and many plugs that do end up in a draw or hung on a wall after being tossed into a few bluefish blitz. This is the same for any hooks that get caught on the lip.

So things to try...

Fingering the line at the end of a cast

Letting a plug sit for a second on touchdown.

Check hook sizes and possibly scale them down.

The hook issue is pretty easily resolved. Unless the builders really did put the hangers way too close.

But the line catching the front hook can be resolve by feathering the line towards the end of the cast. As by doing this the lure straightens out.

It also helps to get that bow in the line when the wind is in your right or left ear.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims