Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Is boycotting BP gas stations the right thing to do???

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

I watched a report on CNN the other day and it seems the only thing being accomplished with this is putting small independent businessmen out of business...So what say you - right or wrong???smile.gif

I guess the stations are just franchises which are owned by BP but leased to individuals who operate them. Many years ago back in Australa my uncle had a Shell gas station and this was the case. So by boycotting BP you would be hurting BP by not buying their product and if a particular outlet closed because of it they would suffer further by losing any income from leasing the outlet however you would have also destroyed a small business and the people employed by that small business would have lost their jobs.

We should go to the polls in November and remove the incumbants that let this type of thing happen with their poor leadership. These congressmen are the ones that allowed or did nothing to ensure that regulations were in place and followed.

gentlemen,

I moved the off topic election posts out of here - only to see more. You are free to start threads about change in November, as well as discussing that topic in threads about parties.

Please show some respect for the member who started this thread about boycotting BP and the affect on the independant business owner.

thank you.

BP has something like 25,000 gas stations in te US. Almost all franchised to individuals who employe others to operate them.

BP has to pay for the entire mess they and Trans- American have caused!

Boycotting a revenue source could very well be the excuse that they are out of money. Once the American revenue source ceases to be, where are "we" going to get the money? Nigera, The Sudan, the North Sea?

I believe that boycotting BP here will cost Americans Jobs and could provide BP with an out (We are broke!) down the road. JMHO

Yes it sucks for the individual owner. But if BP was at some criminal fault, if I was one of those owners I would not want to be a owner of that company any more. They can sell and reopen with a different gas company.

Lots of innocent people get crushed when a company fails or is involved in illegal activities, doesnt mean said company should not pay the price.

If people sell the BP stations for others, that will hurt BP where it counts. Less stations of their gas, less money coming in.

I was a big fan of BP reciently because they bought and used Amaco gas a few years ago. Amaco had the best gas on the market IMO.

For now, I'll be avoiding them, if possible.

View PostYes it sucks for the individual owner. But if BP was at some criminal fault, if I was one of those owners I would not want to be a owner of that company any more. They can sell and reopen with a different gas company.

I'm no expert on this but it might not be that easy for them to just change to another gas company. I expect BP owns the property and the individual operators are legally tied into a lease agreement for a certain period of time. Also there may not be an alternative site run by another gas company that is currently available for them to move to.

I see your point but wonder how easy dumping their BP station will be - especially in light of the corporation's involvement with the oil spill and the public's general displeasure with that situation.

Yeah not sure about the particulars. But I have seen plenty of stations change companies.

Now adays I doubt anyone owns any land. Probably all leased and rented.

I would want to know if the contract has any clauses that allow breakage due to certain circumstances.

View PostI'm no expert on this but it might not be that easy for them to just change to another gas company. I expect BP owns the property and the individual operators are legally tied into a lease agreement for a certain period of time. Also there may not be an alternative site run by another gas company that is currently available for them to move to.

Small 'snip' from an Article in the NY Times.

"After all, BP owns only a handful of the 11,000 stations that bear its brand and is trying to sell the few still on its books. So those who wish to inflict the maximum amount of pain on the company are instead putting much of the hurt on the family businesses that actually own the stations."

Wrong on so many levels. While many may get a warm and fuzzy feeling thinking they are doing the right thing they overlook unintended consequences. The independant franchise owners and their employees are the ones that will be hurt. Think lost jobs and lost franchise fees impacting your local ecomony.

If BP goes bankrupt who pays for the cleanup?

If there is a criminal element or negligence let the courts decide it and pass judgement accordingly.

View PostYeah not sure about the particulars. But I have seen plenty of stations change companies.

Now adays I doubt anyone owns any land. Probably all leased and rented.

I would want to know if the contract has any clauses that allow breakage due to certain circumstances.

Yeah I'm not sure about the particulars either but I'm just going on my gut instinct that when major corporations sign contracts with individuals their lawyers write in all kinds of clauses to protect the corporation in all kinds of eventualities.