Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DucatiRdr

Any experience with St Croix Avid SW spin reels?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I just picked up an Avid AS4000SW from LL Bean. I know, I know...Bean 'aint what it used to be so I had some reservation but for the price this thing was a must try. Built solidly, very smooth, drag seems fine. What's there not to like? Has anyone used one of these? I won't be dunking it and wanted something to match my 7' St Croix Tidemaster MH.

I bought a st croix surf rod and reel combo for my son a few years back its a avid 9 ft rod and as5000sw reel combo. My son is very hard on equipmentredface.gif After three seasons of abuse the reel is still functioning normal, after every season I take down the reel and completly relube it.I think these reels are not bad for the price, they have a good drag and operate very smooth and stand up to the abuse of teenagers pretty damn goodsmile.gif

St. Croix reels are rebadged Daiwas so they shouldn't be too bad. It is probably a rebadged Exceler plus/minus a few bearings. The old Avid reels, I think, were rebadged Daiwa Capricorns so they were pretty good reels.