Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew9745

Bizzare Fishin' Story

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

So I went to an un-named breachway this morning, planning a good outing. I had some luck, smaller blues and bass. I cast out a 2oz. Creek Chub chrome popper, and got one helluva wind knot. I cast out again, just to get enough line out to cut the knot out, and started hand-spooling in the slack line with the lure. 3/4 of the way in, I get a hit, a hard one! I use 20lb power pro, so I was anticipating the mother of all paper cuts, but didn't.

I fought the fish for a minute or so, andI get the thing up near the rocks, about to clamber down and pull it up, when about a 36" bluefish comes out of nowhere, and nails the fish I have on!! cwm31.gif

I yank the lure out, and attached is the head of a school striper, still with the lure in its mouth. Another gentleman was there next to me, fly-fishing, and witnessed the whole thing, so if you're in here, vouch for this please!! confused.gif

It was a sight for sore eyes, me standing there with 60yds of line wrapped around my hand, holding up a lure with a bleeding striper head attached!! I wish I had a picture.....

You know, I thought of using the head as bait, but I dunno about using striped bass. Johnny Law might not like that....

My wife loves fried bluefish cheeks, loves 'em! wink.gif

You know, I thought of using the head as bait, but I dunno about using striped bass. Johnny Law might not like that....

My wife loves fried bluefish cheeks, loves 'em! wink.gif

All fish cheeks are delicious!! I learned that in Chinatown. Kept seeing all the Chinese attacking the head and coming away with this small piece of meat! My friend who makes Violin and other bows(instrument bows)deals with alott of oriental musicians and found out that they were eating the cheeks of the fish.

Bobby, that's so wierd! I went on a charter boat about 10 years ago, and when the crew was filleting the fish on the way back, there was a Chinese man and his son there, cutting the faces apart on the carcasses. When someone asked what the $!%* they were doing, they explained they were taking the cheeks. I tried it next time I caught some, and was impressed!!

I've seen someone pull in blues using only line, weight, hook and bait. I don't know how they don't get their hands ripped up. They weren't even wearing gloves.

Once had a monster blue cut his little brother in half while I was landing it on my fly rod. Sure surprised the heck out of me for a second. They are truly evil incarnate. cwm8.gif