Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niffty

Moving company advice

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Anybody ever use a moving company that they would recommend or tell me to stay the hell away from?

Let's here it.

I used to work for Chipmans Mayflower on army street in SF very part time. A good friends Dad was part owner of it and he used us for specialty work like taking a piano up 100 flight of stairs. I almost sure that Ogee no longer has an interest in the company anymore it was in the early 1970's.

View PostI used to work for Chipmans Mayflower on army street in SF very part time. A good friends Dad was part owner of it and he used us for specialty work like taking a piano up 100 flight of stairs. I almost sure that Ogee no longer has an interest in the company anymore it was in the early 1970's.

I think Derrick was more helpful. cwm13.gif

Thanx.

View PostThe nationally known companies charge a lot more than the locals. You save loads of money boxing up your own stuff so that all they have to do is load the truck.

Anything you box - you are liable for. Recommend either have them box and move the dishes, or do them completely yourself. Anything you really want to protect like good dishes and other breakable things, move them yourself.

PODS are good but the stuff inside is only as safe as you make it when you pack it - you need to stuff it so things won't moer around but not so much that you can't roll open the door when you get to your new place (also be there when they drop it off or else they will put the door facing any way they want)

Used a few movers: United / Mayflower and the prices and skill really varied. I'd call around to the big guys and the local ones and see what they can do for you - also be CAREFULL about having them store your stuff on a truck for any length of time - if there's an issue and a leak that ends up runing your stuff you usually get pennies on the dollar for replacement.

like Bill A said - if you pack and box it and it breaks not on them. So for the really fragile stuff you may want them to pack it. Also see if they will throw in some free wardrobe boxes for you - makes packing closets much easier.

Good luck with the move

View PostAnybody ever use a moving company that they would recommend or tell me to stay the hell away from?

Let's here it.

Is the company paying for it? Who do they recommend? I am sure they should know something.