Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
makorider

Been Schooled NERB Style

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

And I'm hooked on rodbuilding!

Longstory short, I called a friend in town who I knew builds to pick his brain about blanks as I was scheduled to take Kevin Bogan's rod building class. Wanted to build myself a real lightweight (but with balls) tuna jigger. He suggested building another rod with Kevin, as blank choices are somewhat limited there, and he'd help me with the rod I really want.

Ended up building a Calstar tuna spinner for my father, as he's retarded with conventional setups jigging, and also gives us something to throw at the fall bluefins with. Built a nice rod, rather plain, kinda old school, but effective none the less. Myself, my family have always been treated well in Kevin's shop, so we'll leave it at that please.

No sooner did I finish Kevin's class than the next morning the phone rang. "you take that class yet? Good, come over, I want you to look at some blanks" Three hours later...in utter awe at what was going on, I walked out of JPStyle's basement with my head spinning, sold on the Seeker Hercules 60H.

JP, cant thank you enough!! He was patient with my many eff ups, several times after crossing multiple threads, despite his dental tools and $5k loops, threads were cut, time was lost, but always with a smile.

Had a great time. We talked, drank beer, and sang tribal chants about some great chieftan named B40 that pukes thread, and other warriors that do impeccible work.

So, the end result:

P5126284.jpg?t=1277171146

P6196472.jpg?t=1277171314

Playing on the flagpole cleat:

P6196475.jpg

Made some mistakes, lost the lower half of the pattern because I wasnt careful, and buggered it up beyond salvage, as well as the top pattern that was to sit under the first guide. But learned a ton!!

In full disclosure, while I layed 99% of the thread, JP did the majority of the packing...wherin the trick lies.

While I have nothing bad to say about Kevin's rods, nor will I, what was truly amazing to me, a novice, is the difference between how a 'custom' rod is built, and a custom one made by a 'hobbyist'. That was an eye opener for sure!

But I am totally hooked; building a lathe as we speak. Daughter is bugging me now for her pink spinning rod, so I have to finish that up quick. I know what my brother and nephew will be getting for Christmas, and my brother wants a pair of wire line rods from me.

Backordered allready! Let the games begin.

Nice job , I got hooked on the spiral too. I went to a few of the gatherings and its amazeing what you can pick up with seeing something done in front of you and some good instruction can teach you. Its a never ending learning experience its nice to see people out there with similar intrest shareing the knowledge that took years to learn and passing it on to. One day I might be able to do the same. Enjoy your new found addiction, I am.

LMAO!!!! $5K loupes & dental tools, gotta love it. Awesome job on your...wait your SECOND rod? THat's amazing. Grip inlays and a sick Dec wrap, it's insane how much the learning curve has been cut down. Jim is a great guy, it's nice to know he got you hooked and that you "Get" what being a NERB is all about.

View PostLMAO!!!! $5K loupes & dental tools, gotta love it. Awesome job on your...wait your SECOND rod? THat's amazing. Grip inlays and a sick Dec wrap, it's insane how much the learning curve has been cut down. Jim is a great guy, it's nice to know he got you hooked and that you "Get" what being a NERB is all about.

Jim is more than a great guy. Never could have done it without him. I will say, I think he almost feels the need to pass on as others have for him. I feel like I know a few of you allready as I heard so much over my (I wont say how many, you'll laugh) many hours on this rod.

Billy, all I can say is: If I left Jim's basement in awe, I left yours in synaptic meltdown. If you recall, I was on the rock for business and stopped by to pick up a few blanks (inclluding mine as it turns out) for Jim. It was right after some rod show where you 'brought half the booth home', and you were late for a ball game or something that you were coaching.

But HOLY ****. That alone motivates me to get to a gathering.

I think I got it bad as I literally lie in bed thinking about my next build nowadays....

And yeah, I think I get it.....

I felt bad running out on you like that, it's totally not me to do somethign like that, but I screwed up and forgot I had practice that evening. I'm glad you "Get it", I personally put a lot of time, effort and energy into The NERBs State of Mind, and I am fortunate to have found a group of guys who TRULY get it and they are the same way. That's how the craft grows to higher levels, I hope that people who learn stuff anywhere pass that knowledge onto others the same way someone passed it onto them

Mako, I thought you would buy a rod from me, and now I cant send my son to college. He has to get a real job now. Check out my cousins store, Brielle tackle, they have an extensive rod components section. Good luck, the rod looks great.

shaky.gif