Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drakeskakes

My introduction + Setting up gear for the first time, How am I doing?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So I'll quickly start off by introducing myself, since i'll probably be picking peoples brains for the next few months.

My name is Neill, i'm 25 and grew up fishing on Long Island. Mostly Captree and West End Beaches

Now I'm 25 and active duty Coast Guard stationed in Baltimore, MD. I grew up surf fishing for Fluke 99% of the time. I haven't actively fished in almost 10 years and now I'm getting that itch again. Recently I went home and surprised my dad by loading up the car and taking him to West End. I think it really made his fathers day. Except no fish =(

He let me take home a couple rods that we've accumulated over the years, some were birthday presents and so on. We were never pro anglers, my dad was just the kinda guy to keep his ears open at the bait shop and repeat it to us kids to look like super dad!! shaky.gif

So that's why we fished fluke, I guess my dad was scared to take on such a tough project as stripers when he really just wanted time with the kids and lets face it, surfing for fluke is cake, even for a 10 yr old =)

So heres where I stand. I have this gear, and really never learned much about rigging rods, my dad always did it for me and i'm sure he wasn't entirely sure of his methods. So join me on this magic carpet ride and let me know how i'm doing. I've done a lot of googling and heres my current set up.

Mind you I really really enjoy surfing over boating. Nothing like kickin' it on the beach with some buddies and some beers catching fish. My fiances dad does have a 23' "Grady White" he just got, so I want to keep my rigs versatile for both environments. I'm also looking to start striper fishing over fluking.

Since i'm in Baltimore, I guess "Rock Fish" are my main target, but I'm moving to Boston in August so i'll be there just in time for Stripers in Cape Cod during the late summer/fall. I also go to Long Island a lot to visit and go on the boat

SET UP #1 (Dedicated to boating stripers with Chunk/Clam)

6 1/2 ft 1.98m DAIWA tubular fiberglass APOLLO

Casting 2-6 OZ | Med Action | 12-20# Test |

Shakespeare model FD Bait Casting Reel ( I call it a drop rod reel)

200yd of Tilene clear Big game 20# test

(Im considering moving this reel to an older heavy action drop rod I have and putting a spinner reel on this rod)

4oz pyramid sinker attached to a fish finder slider on the main line

60# shock leader 18" Black/Wire ( I also have a few 5' 80# leaders if my bait keeps getting stolen from being so low)

LAZER sharp 4/0 Circular hooks

Is this set up pretty good, I went with the smaller hook and weaker leader because I've been told Rock Fish in the Chesapeke don't get to big, and I have 6/0 circular hooks with 80# shock leaders when I go to NY for real striped bass highfive.gif

SET UP 2 (My Surf casting striper Rod)

9ft South Beach Kwikstix Competitor spinner rod

Med/Hvy action | 12-25# line | 1-3oz lure weight

Shakespeare Model 2240 Ball bearing spinning reel

20# Big Game clear line

18" 60# shock leader 100# clasp

Same 4/0 circular hooks for chunking bunker/clam

Fish finder slider with 2oz pyramid sinker and "Orange floating thingies"

I also picked up some chartreuse bug eye jigs and 2 misc "striper lures" I researched

SET UP #3 (My versatile rod)

7ft TCR 556W spinning rod - Graphite Composite

Med/Hvy Action |10-20lb line | 1/2-11oz lure

South Beach Condor Spinning reel model 560

Not sure of the line is was already on there but it looks like 12-15#

Im going to use this rod for casting lures off the boat while the drop rods are down with chunk or drifting clam, since its small enough to bring on the boat without being a pain. I also wouldn't mind throwing a fluke rig on it when the stripers just aren't biting.

I tried to leave my dad everything in his tackle box so aside from the rods and the reels i'm starting from scratch and have never gone for stripers before. Thats a lie. I've tried for stripers I've just never caught one.

Any advice you guysgals have would be awesome. I attached some pictures, sorry for the crap iPhone pics my dig cam is dead

635cfc51.jpg

35526257.jpg

86229ad4.jpg

dont really have that much time to type a response but i will comment on your surf setup.

i know you are working with what you have, but i would try to go for at least a 10' rod if you are fishing in the ocean. you could get away with nine, it depends where you fish and how far out the fish are. also, if you will be throwing bait you may need a rod that can handle more weight. 1-3 oz is more in the lure range. if the current is moving, it will take more than 3 oz to hold bottom (im no bait guy, but im assuming at least 5oz in a moderate current). 20lb line is fine, as is the 60 lb leader. not sure about the reel, i've only used penn's and daiwas. after a quick google, it looks like its an older reel so i cant really say much about it. fish finder is always a good way to go, try google for more rigs, there are a ton.

anyways thats my 2 minute drill. hope it helps

View PostSince i'm in Baltimore, I guess "Rock Fish" are my main target, but I'm moving to Boston in August so i'll be there just in time for Stripers in Cape Cod during the late summer/fall. I also go to Long Island a lot to visit and go on the boat

Rock fish = Stiped Bass

Your stuff looks fine. As you get more experience you might want to upgrade some stuff , but for now you might want to concentrate on the proper baits and plugs for the conditions you fish. Good luck!smile.gif.

View Post

SET UP #1 (Dedicated to boating stripers with Chunk/Clam)

6 1/2 ft 1.98m DAIWA tubular fiberglass APOLLO

Casting 2-6 OZ | Med Action | 12-20# Test |

Shakespeare model FD Bait Casting Reel ( I call it a drop rod reel)

200yd of Tilene clear Big game 20# test

(Im considering moving this reel to an older heavy action drop rod I have and putting a spinner reel on this rod)

4oz pyramid sinker attached to a fish finder slider on the main line

60# shock leader 18" Black/Wire ( I also have a few 5' 80# leaders if my bait keeps getting stolen from being so low)

LAZER sharp 4/0 Circular hooks

Dont do this. Rods are built the way they are for the type of reel that is going on it. A convetional rod is made to bent with guides facing up. and spinning rod is made to bend with guides facing down. The rod will break if used wrong.

View PostDont do this. Rods are built the way they are for the type of reel that is going on it. A convetional rod is made to bent with guides facing up. and spinning rod is made to bend with guides facing down. The rod will break if used wrong.

Wow, did not know this. I fish kind of awkward. My friends and most people I see fish with the reel underneath the rod facing down when then reel in a fish. I do the opposite. Reel facing up, using my right hand.

Is this a habbit I need to break or can this be worked around.

Wow, did not know this. I fish kind of awkward. My friends and most people I see fish with the reel underneath the rod facing down when then reel in a fish. I do the opposite. Reel facing up, using my right hand.

Is this a habbit I need to break or can this be worked around.

Welcome......Yes, you need to break this habit immediately or you will be called a "googan" and face a life of shame. frown.gif If your'e more comfortable reeling with your right hand, get a "lefty" spinning reel like a Penn 705 or one of the newer style reels in which the handle can be installed on either side. Your set ups look fine for now. But you may want to upgrade if you get more into the sport. Good luck!