Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ja2808

Help trying to catch New Fish and Sharks this AUG.

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

How can I catch different types of fish other than spot and croaker in the month of August? I will try the shore, and a peir, either Avalon, or Nags Head.

Spanish don't hit bait, so use a lure for them.

Blues hit both bait & lures. They are more fun on lures.

Trigger fish test your patience first thing in the mornings at daylight. Carefull placement of bait is important. This is visual fishing.

Spadefish are around the piers, they bite better than triggers, and are easier to clean.

Thank you very much. Those are things that I never knew. I mostly use bottom rigs with bloodworms, shrimp, sometimes squid, and have tried mullet chunks with no luck. I have a variety of gotcha plugs but haven't had luck either, as well as bucktails (bought for stripers in the Chesapeake) that I haven't tried yet. Any lure suggestions?

Maybe I'm just that novice or it's just the luck of the sea. I did see someone catch a 4 foot cobia at the end of Avalon on evening, wonder how he did that. That was neat.

From the piers try the gotcha plugs for spanish and blues early in the morning and late in the evening. From the surf try stingsilvers for the same species, just throw the stingsilver as far as you can and reel it in as fast as you can. If you have the right gear you can always try a pin rig off of the pier for a change of pace. There can be some decent spec fishing from the pier in the wash area. Use a double soft plastic or bucktail rig and fish it really slow. Best bite is really early in the morning.

I looked into the pin-rig, I'm positive that is what was used for that cobia, it makes sense now, and with the signs at the end of Avalon. However I am lost about what spec fishing is... and what is considered the wash area?

When I fish inshore, (my most experience) I use many indicators to tell if I will be catching any or many fish that day. Things like the temp, clarity, sun, time, etc.. What indicators do you use in the ocean? Do you get that feeling too when you first arrive and know "this is going to be a good day."

Speckled trout. The best place to catch them is right along the shore where the waves break. That area where the water is bubbling and sometimes dirty from the washed sand. You can also sometimes have decent luck with flounder by dragging bait rigt next to the pier.

View PostWhat indicators do you use in the ocean? Do you get that feeling too when you first arrive and know "this is going to be a good day."

I find the biggest thing is water temp and clarity depending on species. Spanish like warm clean water.

We are down every year the last week of Aug into the first week of Sept. Advice you have here is right on. I love livelining fingers from the bridges for big Specks and Flatties. This time of year early and late has been my key.

Jim hope to see you this year on Avalon. Plan on doing a few morning therre this year...

View PostWe are down every year the last week of Aug into the first week of Sept. Advice you have here is right on. I love livelining fingers from the bridges for big Specks and Flatties. This time of year early and late has been my key.

Jim hope to see you this year on Avalon. Plan on doing a few morning therre this year...

where do you catch your fingers? I have had the best luck along the road going into Manteo. Sometimes you can find decent schools on the sound side of OI but often the are near the rocks and cause damage to a cast net, Also what is your best method of kepping them alive?

I used to get mine along Hwy 12 but park service and cops have give me a hard time for that. I use a cooler with a bubble maker. toss in some ice and they are good to go. now, I only take what I think I can use.

Thank you dominion & airdown for your great insight. Would I have the same luck live lining from the pier? Does pin-rigging have an advantage over that? They seem almost the same. So far I think I'm going to target blues, and mackerel with the lures, and flounder with some live bait, and leave a live line with a small blue (?) out for whatever wants it. Or should I cast net for something else, like a mullet?

I know people use baitcasters mostly, but I'm a fan of the spinning. For this trip I thinking of getting Team Daiwa's Regal heavy action Bite/Run baitrunner reel. I don't know whether to get really heavy braid, or mono as main line. What's the typical all around set up?

A spinning rod that you would use in fresh water works great for plugging for blues and spanish. From the surf using stingsilvers something longer 9-11ft and rated somewhere like 1-3 works best. To live line a blue you need two rods, one a boat style rod and reel and a heavy surf rod as an anchor rod. Other wise the blue is going to wrap you around the pier or get in someone elses gear. Just about any gear will work for flounder. If you have live bait I like to use a standard flounder rig and just drag it along next to the pier. I'm sure live lining will work though. I would say a 9 ft rod rated for 2 oz would be a all around rod for the pier.

View PostI looked into the pin-rig, I'm positive that is what was used for that cobia, it makes sense now, and with the signs at the end of Avalon. However I am lost about what spec fishing is... and what is considered the wash area?

When I fish inshore, (my most experience) I use many indicators to tell if I will be catching any or many fish that day. Things like the temp, clarity, sun, time, etc.. What indicators do you use in the ocean? Do you get that feeling too when you first arrive and know "this is going to be a good day."

Funny that you mention not knowing what a spec rig is. Down in the keys this winter, the tackle stores there had literally "never heard of it!" I looked and looked and looked. Some asked what it was and I told them "two little bucktails tied in tandem" but then they said "Yeah, we don't have them." I think it's odd that they are so popular up here and down there they are never used. You'd think that this lure that IMO catches everything that swims would catch on down there!